Weight differnce 13 vs 15mbpR real feel

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by manzanabook, Jul 26, 2014.

1. manzanabook macrumors newbie

Hi guys,

I know the differnce is like 400g 1.57kg to 2.02kg but i would like to know how is the real feel? Defently much more heavy? Too much for travelling with?

Actually i wanted to wait for the 2014update,
    But now i could have the 15with iris pro and 2ghz quad for 1400euro. (new)
    The 13 cost almost the same with 1300.

Much more power slightly heavier, cant decide what shall i do?

2. yjchua95 macrumors 604

The 15" rMBP isn't heavy at all. I have both the 13" and 15" variants of the rMBP, and since the 15" is larger (and slightly heavier), it actually sort of feels lighter as the weight is spread over a larger footprint.

3. Sifinity macrumors 6502

Sifinity

get 15" its better deal , you will get use to the weight and its only 1 lb more than the 13"

4. jtaylorau macrumors newbie

I too have both the 13" and 15" variants of the rMBP,

find 13 more portable & light

15 it's portable i wouldn't carry it about each day of week
    most important thing type of case carry it in make big difference
    while 15 was fine in a incease holder bag before
    now I'm about go into surgery no longer be able to use shoulder bag over shoulder got 13 lighter carry & stm bag which can carry in my hand

ask yourself how are planning carry it & where u using it ?

on train & plain & uni /college 13

home to office travel only 1 or 2 day week using c4d cad programs 15

5. Phazer macrumors member

the 15" is noticeably bigger and heavier, and wouldn't want to carry it around all day.
    but it's still a better machine in my opinion, and would rather put up with the extra weight but have the power and screen size

6. sunapple macrumors 65816

sunapple

I know that the difference between the 11" and 13" MacBook Air is quite big in terms of weight and size, so I'd imagine the same for the Pros. It depends on what you're used to, really.

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'd say the weight difference is negligible and if you want the larger laptop, go for it, you'll be rewarded with a larger display, better GPU and quad core CPU

8. manzanabook thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks a lot for all ur comments, that gives me already a good overview!
    I think that i shall still wait for the 13.
    Cuz in the nxt time i will travel a lot, and besides i have a desktop at home anyway.
    Even the 13 should handle rendering vids.

9. bmclaurin macrumors member

bmclaurin

I have 15 and wife has 13. Weight difference is not an issue at all. But the size difference is definitely noticeable. Takes a bigger bag to carry the 15. To me, the 15 is more than worth it in terms of slight inconvenience of larger footprint. But if you were constantly on the go and working in cramped spaces (e.g., coach class airline seat, commuter train, etc.), the 13 would be more manageable. Again, weight is not an issue IMO, but think about dimensions.

10. mrex macrumors 68020

mrex

Exactly! My 15" zenbook is 400grams more than 13" MBPr and you really cant see difference between them other than the size.

11. 5to1, Jul 27, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2014

5to1 macrumors 6502

There is still some difference in weight, but only you can decide if its significant. For example when I used to lug lots of stuff around, every gram counted and the weight difference between the 13 & 15 would have been very significant. If i'm just carrying a laptop and a few bits and pieces, then its probably not as significant. On the other hand for my wife it probably would be significant, or some of my "smaller" colleagues.

Apple have shrunk the size of both machines compared to the cMBP, but the size is still the more significant issue IMO. The 15" still has a significantly larger footprint and in use you have to deal with that in two almost perpendicular planes. Much more cumbersome, intrusive, unwieldy to move around (for example a few minutes ago I passed my laptop across a large sofa to my wife to check something, one handed without a second thought, I wouldn't do that with a 15"), etc.

12. CmdrLaForge macrumors 68040

CmdrLaForge

I have both and I overall prefer my 13". I recommend going to an Apple Store and compare them yourself.

13. manzanabook thread starter macrumors newbie

Thx guys!

I did already time ago, but i went on monday again and first impression was that the 15 is the 13 haha ;)
    anyway i decided for the 13' cuz the offer for the 15 Late 2013 for 1400€ wasn't available anymore.
    anyways i wanted to wait for the upgraded mid 2014 13inch and so i ordered tuesday my first mac book pro :)

14. Freyqq macrumors 68040

For reference, the 12" powerbook was 4.6 lbs...the exact same weight as the 15" rmbp today. It's not heavy at all, but you can feel the difference vs the 13" rmbp.