iPad Weight - iPad Air Smart Case

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by Tobster3, Oct 30, 2013.

1. Tobster3 macrumors 6502

Have they announced the weight of the iPad Air Smart Case ?

2. jimbo1mcm macrumors 68000

No, but in their promos, Apple said it matches the "lightness" of Air. We'll see. Anandtech review says it adds weight to the Air. Seems nuts to get a case weighing a pound or so,(not sure what the Apple case weighs) and double the weight of the Air. We need something VERY light.

3. gdourado macrumors 6502

gdourado

I have a smart case on my ipad 4 that is always on.
    I am sure the combo of the air with the smart case will be much lighter than my 4 with smart case, so I am in for that.

4. Tobster3 thread starter macrumors 6502

What is the weight of your smart case?

5. Tobster3 thread starter macrumors 6502

Anyone who now has their iPad Air with Smart Case care to comment on the weight?

6. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

7. Tobster3 thread starter macrumors 6502

8. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

It's light on paper, but in practice it adds considerable heft to the Air. The Air is begging to be caseless because it walks such a thin line between light and not-quite-as-light-as-you-hoped.

I returned an Air and smart case tonight, mostly because of a screen issue, but ultimately I was not inspired to attempt an exchange for a better screen, because the Air, while very slim, is still rather unwieldy compared to a mini. Had there never been a mini, the air would be great of course. But there is a mini, and for me it's the ultimate tablet form factor.

I'm also happy to say that the leather smart case for the mini adds only a small amount of weight by comparison to the Air, and it's a really nice case, a few quirks aside.

9. frdfr macrumors newbie

same here. Returned both, waiting for a trial with the iPad Mini 2 to make a final decision. The iPad Air alone is quite nice, but with the added heft and width of the case, though minor, it just tips the scales for me... just not that light ... yet. Of course if I were looking at an iPad for more than just ebook/browsing/email and an adjunct to my main productivity devices, I would have likely held onto the Air.

10. Crossmax macrumors member

It's exactly the same as my iPad 4 product red smart case (which weighs 151 grams), so I wouldn't call it light. However, as long as if fits tighter than the ipad 2-4 smart case, it's definitely an improvement.