All iPads Weight: iPad Mini Retina + Smart case = iPad Air

Discussion in 'iPad' started by daveb99, Nov 12, 2013.

1. daveb99 macrumors member

Considering a Mini retina and I was wondering how much lighter it will actually feel than the Air in day to day use (not just picking one up in store..)

Assuming a smart case weighs around 120g for the Mini, then with it fitted it will basically weigh the same as an Air without a case.

Adding a smart case to the Air will of course add about 150g so it will naturally feel a little heavier than the air then.

Hope this is of use - it has helped me to work out how heavy the Mini will be for normal usage.

2. dhokes macrumors regular

Why would you consider a rMini with case against the Air without a case?

3. daveb99 thread starter macrumors member

I didn't say I would - but it helps to get a feel for how heavy the Mini will be (with a smart case), since I have an Air!

Hope this makes sense.

4. Jeepman88 macrumors member

Nope, it doesn't really.

5. drxcm macrumors regular

My iPad mini inside a sack of flour weighs slightly more than a sack of flour on its own.

6. WilliamG macrumors 604

:eek:

7. AppleRobert macrumors 603

I am just going to use a Smart Cover on each so that makes it moot.

The lighter than Air tablet right now is the Kindle HDX 8.9". I know it is smaller but may indeed be the perfect form factor for some.

8. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

It makes a lot of sense to me. A lot of people here are probably agonizing tonight trying to guess how much the weight difference between the two matters. Having an Air with Smart Cover in hand right now, this tells me a lot; the Air is slightly heavier with the cover than without, but hardly a game-changer. That tells me that going down to the Mini isn't going to be as big a deal as I might otherwise imagine.

9. nostresshere macrumors 68030

ROFLMAO

Thank you.

Now, can anyone tell me how to clean beer off my screen?

10. richardbb85 macrumors 6502a

11. kap09 macrumors 6502

When holding it in one hand for extended periods of time. This is why the third of a pound or so lost with the intro of the air was such a big deal. This was actually what made me order an Air when I'd been planning on a retina mini before the announcement.

12. rkuo macrumors 6502a

The iPad Mini weighs 25% more with the Smart Cover on. I remember weighing it out. That's actually quite a bit and I imagine the full Smart Case would push it to the iPad Air's weight easily.

13. shadowjeff macrumors regular

I don't think you can compare it this way because the weight of the iPad air is spread apart with a bigger screen while the iPad mini's weight is more concentrated. The feel of the weight will be different, if you know what I'm mean.

14. herdnerfer macrumors 6502

I'm pretty sure this is going to void your warranty.