Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

marliefrugal

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 13, 2015
I use my M1 12.9 iPad Pro as my only computer but I rarely use of out of the MK as its just too heavy. Can people who now own the M4 13” iPad Pro with MK let me know if holding the tablet for extended periods of time is now possible? Thanks

semajm85

macrumors member
Nov 30, 2012
I use my M1 12.9 iPad Pro as my only computer but I rarely use of out of the MK as its just too heavy. Can people who now own the M4 13” iPad Pro with MK let me know if holding the tablet for extended periods of time is now possible? Thanks
Heya! Ive been using it extensively for the past few hours .

the reduction in weight is very noticeable, and because of that it is much more usable in the hand for extended periods.

1. The screen is bloody gorgeous, miles ahead of the 2018 11” IPP I had.
2. The weight difference is noticeable, it feels so much better in the hand.
3. The keyboard this year is much much better, it does feel as if I’m typing on the magic keyboard I use for my Mac mini.
4. Compared to the m2 12.9 IPP I had for 3 mths before I sold it ( when I heard about OLED coming), I enjoy using the 13” by far.

marliefrugal

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 13, 2015
That’s great to know. If you don’t mind, can you let me know what were the reasons that you upgraded?

Reactions: PaperMag

semajm85

macrumors member
Nov 30, 2012
That’s great to know. If you don’t mind, can you let me know what were the reasons that you upgraded?
When I had the 12.9, I fell in love with the size of the display for a mobile computing device, but every time I lifted it I could feel the heft, left the keyboard in the drawer most of the time. When I heard that the next IPP’s were going to have OLED, Immediately sold it and waited for the refresh to come.

The OLED was the biggest draw for me as I do a lot of photo edits as a hobbyist and I consume tonnes of media and play a lot of games on the ipad, so I was just drawn to upgrade after my 11” iPad served me dutifully for 5+ years. The large reduction in weight on the 13” is the best bonus.

Isengardtom

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2009
Very nice. What do you think about the Audio? It’s thinner so first impressions suggested a bit less quality there in the new model vs the previous.

is that your observation as well?

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
I hear you man. Do go down to the store to have a listen yourself, bring your ipad for A\B comparison. My opinion may be differ from yours
I already have the 2018 12.9 and M1 12.9 to compare and that difference is already big enough for me. The question is will the 2024 be worse than the 2018 (which is thinner than the M1 but not as thin as the 2024)?
Honestly it does not matter much, maybe at some point I'll replace my 2018 with the 2024, but not before I have seen WWDC and read some longer term reviews.
Why do I have both? Because I want to keep the miniled with no screen protector for maximum clarity in order not to ruin the superior screen quality and the IPS in the 2018 has a matte screen protector for that nice pencil feel and lack of reflections (also need to clean it much less often as it does not take fingerprints) and it's also lighter for handheld use (the M4 would be even lighter, but the lack of compatibility with accessories bugs me, for instance I have the 2018 in a vesa mount magnetic stand which I bought on indiegogo, which I could not reuse for the M4, I would need a new pencil too...)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.