Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fat.tofu

macrumors regular
Mar 24, 2020
The answer is that the 12.9 is 710g (1.57 lbs) just on its own, and 1.36k (3 lbs) with the iPad attached. It’s HEAVY.

Mine arrived today. If you’re going to use it on a desk, or as a dock, fine. But I agree with Meboy - why am I going to carry this around as well as a MBP?

Pretty sure I’m going to return it. In fact I only took it back out of the box to take these photos.
View attachment 907538 View attachment 907539

Thanks for the info! That put the 12.9” + MK as heavy as MBP13.3” at 1.37kg (3.02lbs)

To sum up:

11” + MK = 1.06kg (2.34 lbs)
12.9” + MK = 1.36kg (3 lbs)

11” MK = 590g ~ 600g ( 1.3 lbs )
12.9” MK = 710g (1.57 lbs)

Other keyboard cases with build-in trackpad:

Logitech Combo Touch for iPad 10.5” 10.2” = 610g ( 1.34lbs )
Brydge Pro+ 11” = 550g ( 1.14 lbs )
Brydge Pro+ 12.9” = 690g ( 1.51 lbs )

Last edited:

Nikhil72

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2005
If it weren’t heavier than the iPad how exactly would you all remove the tablet with one hand without the bottom coming along for the ride? Basic physics dictates for the keyboard dock to stay in place it has to have more mass than the iPad lifting away from it via copious magnet strength

ahostmadsen

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 28, 2009
The answer is that the 12.9 is 710g (1.57 lbs) just on its own, and 1.36k (3 lbs) with the iPad attached. It’s HEAVY.

Mine arrived today. If you’re going to use it on a desk, or as a dock, fine. But I agree with Meboy - why am I going to carry this around as well as a MBP?

Pretty sure I’m going to return it. In fact I only took it back out of the box to take these photos.
View attachment 907538 View attachment 907539
I also read about the weight on the other threads. I decided not to buy it: too heavy, and does not fold all the way back. My iPad is mainly a mobile tablet with occasional “computer” duties.

KittyKatta

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2011
SoCal
If it weren’t heavier than the iPad how exactly would you all remove the tablet with one hand without the bottom coming along for the ride? Basic physics dictates for the keyboard dock to stay in place it has to have more mass than the iPad lifting away from it via copious magnet strength
Unmounting it requires two hands due to the magnets so that “Physics” doesnt actually make sense. But the additional weight does keep it from tipping backwards.

Last edited:
Reactions: valleian

Boardiesboi

macrumors 601
Sep 3, 2013
Sydney Australia
Just received mine.

The build is very solid and high quality and typing on it feels great.
The track pad is of the right size compared to the overall size of the keyboard.
Gestures work well.

But damn this thing is a chunk. I feel like I’m carrying around my MacBook Air. Put these on the scales and got:
MBA= 1.29kg, iPad Pro 11+MK = 1.18kg.

If you previously used the Smart Keyboard and wanted this as a replacement, don’t cos it’s not.
The SK was much lighter and good for use in both landscape and portrait tablet mode.
This is a dock that you snap the iPad to when you want a better typing experience and need it for lengthy emails and word processing.

Last edited:

anthonyd

macrumors member
Oct 27, 2003
Melbourne, Australia
Just received mine (in Aus) and got slightly different weights:
11” magic keyboard = 601g
11” iPad Pro 2020 (cellular) + magic keyboard = 1073g

I was temporarily using a 2019 Brydge 9.7 to carry me over (from my previous iPad) and it was 94g lighter. So not a huge weight difference, and barely noticeable as a package.

Reactions: arn

Internet Enzyme

macrumors 6502a
Feb 21, 2016
Yeah I just cancelled my order. I suppose all the facts were always there, but now that I have a better picture of what this product is, it's now really clear that this is not a product for me. It doesn't fold back and doubles the ipad's weight? No thanks. Why wouldn't I just use my MacBook Pro? Guess I'll go with the stupid Folio Keyboard now that the facts have made themselves apparent to me.

Internet Enzyme

macrumors 6502a
Feb 21, 2016
So a major advantage of a hypothetical ARM-based 12" MacBook is that it would actually be lighter than an iPad Pro + keyboard.

its really strange seeing how they have made such an elaborate, over engineered accessory whose whole purpose is to piecemeal rebuild that which Apple has already solved years ago in an adjacent, “legacy” product line.

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Mar 19, 2008
its really strange seeing how they have made such an elaborate, over engineered accessory whose whole purpose is to piecemeal rebuild that which Apple has already solved years ago in an adjacent, “legacy” product line.

Classic case of no product visionary and/or leadership.

They spent most of the last decade just making everything thinner to the final point of “the butterfly keyboard” failure...

and all the while really kinda sorta wanting the iPad to somehow just “become what’s next“ after the Mac laptops, except they forgot to build any great software to support the excellent hardware.

Reactions: Scottsoapbox

ascender

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2005

I’m guessing most people with a 12.9” iPad Pro will be carrying it around instead of a MBP rather than in addition-to. Most of our team either use a 12.9” iPad Pro or a laptop when away from the office. Those that carry both tend to have a small iPad with no keyboard case of any sort for taking notes or media consumption.

But if you have a use-case for both then the weight sucks.

The Brydge weighs similar, so how about standalone items?

Magic Keyboard - 231 grams
Magic Trackpad 2 - 231 grams

That combo will save you 250 grams or so, but that’s not a massive saving to have to carry around two separate devices.

Internet Enzyme

macrumors 6502a
Feb 21, 2016
Classic case of no product visionary and/or leadership.

They spent most of the last decade just making everything thinner to the final point of “the butterfly keyboard” failure...

and all the while really kinda sorta wanting the iPad to somehow just “become what’s next“ after the Mac laptops, except they forgot to build any great software to support the excellent hardware.

to me, i think that the progression of the iPad has been alright: the keyboards that have come before did indeed add weight and bulk, but they seemed like a natural enough evolution, given how tough text entry is on the on screen iPad keyboard. in my opinion, theyve kind of jumped the shark with this one, given that you can’t carry the keyboard around whilst using the iPad in tablet mode. i agree that the iPad‘s lack of focus and the mac’s overall neglect comes down to a schism in apple leadership. Seems like there’re two factions that aren’t necessarily in disagreement but certainly aren’t coherent. who knows if these issues will be alleviated or heightened by the ARM transition

Roscorito

macrumors member
Nov 14, 2018
Bought one of these just to test it but will send it back until they release some pro apps. At least Xcode for gods sake.

DSTOFEL

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2011
Just received mine.

The build is very solid and high quality and typing on it feels great.
The track pad is of the right size compared to the overall size of the keyboard.
Gestures work well.

But damn this thing is a chunk. I feel like I’m carrying around my MacBook Air. Put these on the scales and got:
MBA= 1.29kg, iPad Pro 11+MK = 1.18kg.

If you previously used the Smart Keyboard and wanted this as a replacement, don’t cos it’s not.
The SK was much lighter and good for use in both landscape and portrait tablet mode.
This is a dock that you snap the iPad to when you want a better typing experience and need it for lengthy emails and word processing.
+1 I agree that it’s more of a “dock” in nature due to the things you mentioned. Maybe more of a “portable “dock”. However I’d go further than saying it’s main use is for when you want a better typing experience and need it for lengthy emails and word processing. Honestly, the smart Keyboard folio could handle this task just fine....although I’m sure the typing experience is better on the Magic Keyboard (ie feel, backlighting, etc...). I think what really separates the Magic case from something like the SKF is the increased productivity potential and convenience from having the built in trackpad and extra charging port (ie the port freeing up the iPads USB C port for other uses).

Last edited:
Reactions: Boardiesboi

petterihiisila

macrumors 6502
Nov 7, 2010
Finland
I’ve used the Magic Keyboard on a 12.9” iPad for an hour now, and can’t complain about the weight. It feels a little bit heavier than the Folio keyboard I had previously, but with the added convenience of the trackpad and the excellent keyboard, it’s easy to forgive. It doesn’t feel nearly as bulky as the Logitech keyboard, which I tried last Fall. It feels a bit thicker than the Folio, but not at all in a distracting manner.

In one way the weight seems just right: it helps balance the iPad. I’m currently using it on my lap and there’s no worry about it tipping over. Also, the iPad is trivial to detach. That’s what I’ll do once the workday is over.

The typing experience is top notch, it’s even better than on my Macbook 16” in this way: I can type faster with the iPad now. Trackpad gestures make multitasking effortless. I feel that complex iPad tasks will be way more productive with this accessory.

The trackpad click does feel a little old-fashioned, because it’s mechanical, but it does respond to all corners equally, and responds to taps. There’s no real need to press it, and I never do.

Last edited:

PortoMavericks

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2016
Gotham City
The fact that it has a charging port for the iPad while you're using a dock it just shows how this is for the Pros.

You know, people that actually use the iPad as a computer and needs occasionally the tablet to detach and the Apple Pencil.

This device is a huge win for people like me. If you use the iPad Pro just as media consumption device, stay away from buying it.

Reactions: Boardiesboi

yoomy

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2008
Just unboxed it and used it for like 30 minutes

IMG_0746.jpeg

PROS:
- great typing experience
- trackpad gestures are awesome and makes navigating the iPad a breeze
- backlight looks great

CONS:
- macbook pro trackpad is obviously a little better just because of the size
- the weight: the 12.9 ipad pro together with the keyboard weighs the same as my 13 macbook pro

How good does it work for my use cases:
  • I do a lot of photo editing with lightroom lately and in this case it’s quite comfortable to keep the iPad connected to the keyboard but use the pencil for actual editing instead of the trackpad.
  • I plan to do some programming on it as well (node, react, gatsby). I use a remote linux server to code on with vscode server as my editor. For coding the the magic keyboard will obviously be much better than the folio. Especially with the track pad, so you don’t need to bring an extra mouse. Because using the pencil for moving the cursor and selecting is not that great.
In the following days I will try to figure out how much the overall weight bothers me. I can see myself switching to the 11 inch ipad pro because of it. Or even going back to the folio keyboard.

Last edited:

Royksöpp

macrumors 68020
Nov 4, 2013

Why on earth would you carry both? If I have my MBP with me why would I need to bring the Magic Keyboard as well? Is it normal to carry around two laptops? If you're going to use the Magic Keyboard then it really comes down to one or the other. The point of the MK is that you don't have to bring a laptop, because the iPad will be the laptop. Bringing both is just silly.

petterihiisila

macrumors 6502
Nov 7, 2010
Finland
The point of the MK is that you don't have to bring a laptop, because the iPad will be the laptop. Bringing both is just silly.

Dual screen. That’s a good reason to bring both.

On most work travels my MBP stays in the backpack, but when I need to set up a proper pop-up office, I’ve got two hi-res screens to work with.

Turns out that the MK is also a great iPad stand for Sidecar use. It’s floating higher than with the Folio keyboard, and the hinge allows to set it at a perfect angle.

Reactions: OzMoon and DaveOZ

Royksöpp

macrumors 68020
Nov 4, 2013
Dual screen. That’s a good reason to bring both.

On most work travels my MBP stays in the backpack, but when I need to set up a proper pop-up office, I’ve got two hi-res screens to work with.

Turns out that the MK is also a great iPad stand for Sidecar use. It’s floating higher than with the Folio keyboard, and the hinge allows to set it at a perfect angle.

I would bring my iPad with the Folio case to accompany my MBP. The MK might be higher, but I'd rather have less weight. My 16 inch is already pushing 4.3 LBS!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.