Weight training (part 3), latest update

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by n8236, Aug 20, 2009.

1. n8236 macrumors 65816

In parts 1 and 2, I concerned myself a lot with beginner routines of how to lose weight, gaining muscle and eating right. It has since been months since my latest update and I return with some pretty good news.

After much adjustment to my routine and diet, I can happily report I have made some noticeable differences.

These few months I have been wanting to lose the last few lbs and I am still experimenting with a few things.

The adjustments I have made, include:

1. Training days from 3 to 4/5 days a week. Instead of doing a full body workout on those days, I have separated to one muscle area a day.

2. I still keep my cardio to 30 mins each session. But have moved away from only doing solely one machine. Now I incorporate/rotate between running/ellipticals/biking. I've added incline to the machines as well.

3. I started going to these free aerobic/shadow/kick boxing classes once a week.

4. Started eating less carbs and replaced that with more protein.

With a regiment that I described above, I am able to maintain (if not gain) muscle mass while slowly losing the flab. I know most serious people who train would either cut fat or gain mass and not both, but I get totally bloated when I try to go all out on gaining mass and would look totally scrawny if I go all out on cutting fat.

In any case, these adjustments have cut a little into my muscle mass, but the definition I am getting from all this is quite rewarding and I'm fine with it. Does anyone else have more tips on getting ripped?

2. Reaver macrumors 6502

great job keep up the good work I found that when I did my cardio I was doing Stationary bike/elliptical/running (treadmill) I stopped using running for about a month (bad knee from sports injury) and went to a swimming routine for a total body workout. I found a newly opened YMCA and started going to the gym there on the way home from work. for me I found that switching to a swimming routine along with the others worked good for me.

3. GfPQqmcRKUvP macrumors 68040

GfPQqmcRKUvP

First off, congrats for making some noticeable progress. It's really gratifying to enact changes and see the results.

My tips for getting cut, in my experience, is just far more cardio. You have to make sure to eat protein and enough calories, but I don't think you're going to see a lot of cutting action with 30 minutes of cardio per day. Those shadow boxing activities you're doing are probably amazing for you though, that's a great work out.

My "problem" seems to be opposite of yours. I traditionally don't eat very well but offset it with about 3 hours of hard cardio per day. I don't know what my body fat percentage is but it is pretty low. I'm trying to get it far lower though and the diet changes I'm doing will really help that I think. Thanks to Iscariot, who helped me a bit with nutrition, I've cut out all white bread and rice and replaced those with 12 grain whole wheat (with no HFCS) and brown rice, respectively. I've also incorporated better snacks into my diet such as sliced apples with natural peanut butter and healthy granola bars.

Good luck. I'm sure you'll get a lot more opinions soon.

4. Melrose macrumors 604

Melrose

Good for you for sticking to it. I had a friend in my high school years who "worked out" and all he did was bench press as quickly as humanly possible (with low weights) and think he was buff.. Even that didn't last long. He never even broke a sweat.

A Recommendation: Don't over do it and get so big and grotesque you've got veins popping out all over; There's a line between keeping yourself up and looking good and looking narcissistic.

5. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

How's that going for you, by the way?

6. GfPQqmcRKUvP macrumors 68040

GfPQqmcRKUvP

It's going pretty well. I still have my vices...namely frozen yogurt, but overall I feel far better. I'm absolutely addicted to natural peanut butter and I use it often to make PB&J's with jelly that has no high-fructose corn syrup on 12-grain or homemade bread. If I want a side with the sandwich I will go for an apple or, sometimes, some kettle potato chips (I only buy the kind that has like 3 ingredients and is all natural. I figure that's better than the alternative).

I've cut down white breads/rices to about once per week (sometimes white rice is unavoidable) and eat FAR more fiber-dense foods. For breakfast I have either raisin bran (not the best for me, not the worst) and a couple of slices of toast with cinnamon or I'll have some yogurt mixed in with organic granola. That's delicious.

I do have a question though, Iscariot. I bought some almonds the other day and they're not as crunchy as I'm accustomed to. Is that normal?

7. bearbear macrumors regular

Generally, you're not going to gain muscle and lose fat at the same time. Since you're a beginner you may see results along those lines at first, but you will reach a point where it's one or the other.

As far as cardio goes, you need to be doing HIIT for fat loss. It will only take 20-30 mins per session, but is far more effective for fat loss then hours of "normal" cardio and will minimize muscle loss.

It's good that you've upped your protein intake and I would suggest picking up some protein powder for after your lifting sessions and throughout the day. 1g if protein per 1 lbs of of lean body weight is a good rule to follow.

Drink a lot of water throughout the day, also.

And I hope you're using free weights and not the weight machines. Don't waste your time with the machines, not nearly as effective.

8. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Post some before/after pics if you feel comfortable. I love hearing success stories. I have to find some before pics of myself. They are quite scary. I looked like a heroin addict.

Machines are perfectly fine if they are used correctly. I use them all the time.

9. duncanapple macrumors 6502

Question, what brands have you found and where that don't have HFCS? I have a hard time finding jelly that doesn't have either tons of (added) sugar, HFCS, or both.

Thanks!

10. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

Awesome! Glad to hear it's going well. I have vices too, and I think that acknowledging that and allowing for it in moderation is overall the best way to manage them. As for your question, roasted almonds are crunchy, raw or un-roasted tend to be a bit more moist. If you want to add a little crunch, you can roast them yourself in your oven at 350° for ~20 minutes.

…I'm buying almonds tomorrow.

11. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Vices are what make life worth living. :) Of course it's OK to indulge them as long as you don't go overboard. Trying to deny them outright simply makes you crazy.

12. caligurl macrumors 68030

caligurl

oh i hear ya! i can't eat just one of the stupid frozen yogurt bars i buy! they're worse than lays potato chips!

13. Maccin475 macrumors member

1. I would eventually move to a split weight training routine (2 muscle groups a day), if you're really looking to push yourself.

2. Have you tried interval Cardio training?c(Sprints for a minute, slow jogging for 2 minutes etc.) I think Interval training is much more effective in burning fat than a steady conventional Cardio regimen (Check out crossfit.com)

3. To get more ripped you have keep up your Cardio and increase the number of reps per set during weight training sessions.

14. GfPQqmcRKUvP macrumors 68040

GfPQqmcRKUvP

I just went to Whole Foods and got some of their house brand stuff. It's not grape jelly but it's 100% fruit spread.

It should be getting better tomorrow morning. I just went to the market and got Buckwheat pancake mix, some fresh eggs, pumpkin seeds, strawberry granola, raisins, vanilla, and natural peanut butter to make some pancake-ish food tomorrow morning. I don't know how good it will be since it's my first time making it but I'm pretty excited.

They are roasting as I type. I think I'll try to put a little cinnamon and sugar on the second batch for experiments sake.