weightlifting tracking

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by wayneholbrook, Sep 9, 2016.

1. wayneholbrook macrumors regular

wayneholbrook

Does anyone know if the Series 2 finally have weightlifting tracking? I know this can be a software update rather then a hardware update but it's been lacking since the release.

2. xcrunner macrumors regular

What do you mean "tracking"? You can name and create multiple "Other" workouts to customize metrics and still get the HR data if that's what you mean. Otherwise, there have been apps (Gymaholic) that let you track for awhile.

3. ScubaCinci macrumors 65816

ScubaCinci

I wish they had dedicated weight lifting or strength training tracking in the health app. Runkeeper has one but that app was flaky for me on the watch so I quit using it. Maybe they've worked out the issues.

4. BlueMoon63 macrumors 68000

There isn't one on the GM plus it is extremely difficult to track weight lifting as a predictable exercise calorie burn. Movement can be minimal and infrequent. Anyone can add one but it doesn't mean it is accurate. At least with OS3 you can do a workout other and then save it with a name (Legs) and then load that workout each time you do legs. Nice way to track calorie from week to week for legs. Create as many as you want to have. Ice comparisons.

5. lw9090 macrumors regular

Have you tried Under Armour Record App?

6. ericg301 macrumors 6502a

do you mean actually recording your sets and reps? or just heart rate. there are plenty of 3rd party apps to do the former (most not very good - i prefer using my phone). the latter, increased heart rate = more calories burned.

7. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

I just use the OTHER workout category. Seems relatively realistic to what I would expect.

8. BlueMoon63 macrumors 68000

There isn't a dedicated workout app for weightlifting and that is probably a good thing as it is way too hard to gauge beyond heart rate.

I do love that we can now save a workout/other and name it. I have several now so I can compare week to week. I have ChestTri and BackBis and Shoulders and Legs and Core. Then I can use those each week to compare heart rate and calorie.

9. avkam macrumors member

10. fatalogic, Sep 14, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2016

fatalogic macrumors regular

fatalogic

If you're serious about tracking strength training I would check out something more purpose built like Atlas wearables. I see the Apple watch as more of a jack of all trades master of none.

11. HopefulHumanist macrumors 6502a

There isn't one in the first party workout app. I'm hoping they add it in a future watchOS update.