Weird 13" MBP issue

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by cstephens7871, Jun 18, 2011.

1. cstephens7871 macrumors newbie

So tonight I decided to restart my computer. When I came back to my machine none of my desktop folders were there and my dock won't display. Also the time and date are displaying almost a cosmic sans like text. For that matter the system information is as well. I thought it could be a memory issue as I recently installed 8 gbs of ram in my machine and it could have been bad ram but it tested fine. This is really weird and I'm just wondering if anyone has seen this before or could help me. I also just looked in finder and a lot of the sidebar icons are missing. Multi touch gestunres are not working, The overall speed of the machine is slow as well. I don't known could be causing these issues. Screenshot below

The system is a 13" 2011 MBP with an upgraded seagate 500gb 7200 rpm hd and 8gbs of ram.

http://img38.imageshack.us/i/screens...10618at232.png

2. elmateo487 macrumors 6502a

Sounds really funky... I'm assuming you have already tried to restart the PC to see what that does? I would run a disk check, a permissions check in disk utility, make sure everything is updated. Then I would check the comp with just one stick of ram then the other. Do this for both slots in all combinations, Then I would backup my files and do a fresh install

3. ZipOnTrousers macrumors newbie

ZipOnTrousers

Did you install anything software-wise before this started happening? Some of the stuff sounds like it could be attributed to something going wrong with the Finder app...

Agree with elmateo completely. Boot from install disk, check disk permissions, troubleshoot RAM, maybe run a test on the actual physical hard drive...

Other than that backup and clean install.

4. sridvijay macrumors newbie

Reset PRAM?

Try rebooting your computer. While you turn on the computer hold on the Command-Option-P-R Buttons all at the same time. Also try to reset your SRC.