Weird '18 mini problem

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by Martyimac, Jun 2, 2019.

1. Martyimac macrumors 68000

Martyimac

Decided to install the 10.14.5 combo updater to my mini. Numerous times the computer/monitor would go into sleep mode and the install would stop. Tried to cmd-R restart, no go. Cmd-option-R startup would work and disk utility first aid said no problems.
    To make a long story shorter I found that if I pulled the video cable out of one USB-C port and put in another one would bring the monitor out of sleep mode and the install would continue.
    I was able to complete the reinstall of the combo updater but this has me scratching my head. Any thoughts?
    OBTW, if it matters the monitor is a Dell P2715Q

2. Stephen.R macrumors 65816

Stephen.R

Are you sure the install stops when the display goes to sleep?

3. Martyimac thread starter macrumors 68000

Martyimac

Yes, waited 10 minutes and no display, no monitor flicker, nothing. Display went into "sleep mode".

4. Duncan68 macrumors regular

Duncan68

I had an issue where the monitor went blank after updating to 10.14.5. It seems to have worked itself out after a few reboots.

Monitor is an Acer 25".

5. Martyimac thread starter macrumors 68000

Martyimac

I was hoping that would happen but after waiting at least 30 minutes on one of my numerous tries, monitor remained in "sleep mode".

6. Duncan68 macrumors regular

Duncan68

Even now, when starting up my mini from a cold boot, during the macOS load process the monitor will go blank for a few seconds. Thankfully it's always come back up.

There is something weird with this update and monitors.

7. Stephen.R macrumors 65816

Stephen.R

I would wait more than 10 minutes personally. I’ve seen some combo updates take 30+ minutes to install (crazy I know)

8. Martyimac thread starter macrumors 68000

Martyimac

As have I, but the amount of times the monitor goes black is measured in seconds, and that is usually during a restart, not always but usually, and I have never had a monitor go into sleep mode during an install of ANY OS update over the last 8 years.
    OBTW, once I figured out the remove then reinsert the video cable, my troubles were over. If the monitor went into sleep mode, I just shifted to a different port on the mini.

9. doboy macrumors 68020

Had the same problem yesterday with display failing to show status/repair screen through HDMI. Luckily, I tried the USB-C connection and it worked fine through Mojave re-installation.

10. oppastopa macrumors newbie

Yes, my update process went oddly. Screen went black and finally went to sleep. The update finished but there was no indication it finished and I had to wake my computer, thinking it was still updating.