Weird 2011 Macbook Pro Battery issue

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mockopalooza, May 23, 2011.

1. mockopalooza macrumors newbie

Hi all

I have a strange issue with my new 13 inch Macbook Pro.

Every so often (maybe once every 5 startups) the computer uses a huge amount of power after startup (30-35 watts according to Coconutbattery). The battery meter shows time until empty of 1-2 hours and the battery percentage drops rapidly.

Once I restart it, it comes back on using 8-10 watts and shows time remaining of 6-7 hours.

I don't think its purely a battery measurement issue... Last week it died whilst showing higher power use after about 2 hours.

There are no applications opening on startup (that I can see) so am not sure what could be causing such rapid use.

Any help much appreciated.

2. mac00l macrumors 6502

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Also check Activity Monitor at the time when the high usage occurs, to see what's running that may be placing high power demands on your system. Be sure to change "My Processes" at the top to "All Processes." Also, calibrate your battery to make sure your readings are accurate. Instructions for calibration and resetting the SMC are in the following link. This should answer most, if not all, of your battery questions:

4. mockopalooza thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the suggestions.

Turns out the issue was that Adobe Resource Synchronizer was running at about 85% of CPU... I've terminated and battery life is back to normal.

I don't use any form of Adobe sharing or anything... Only have reader installed and use occasionally.

I've had a quick google, but can't find a clean way to stop this process starting on each startup. Does anyone have any suggestions?

5. GGJstudios, May 25, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2015

GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Check in System Preferences > Accounts > youraccount > Login Items
    You can also launch the app and check its preferences.

More info here: The Adobe Synchronizer
    Found in this thread: Adobe Resource Synchronizer?
    By searching with Google for "Adobe Resource Synchronizer"