weird 3G question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by waterskier2007, Jan 7, 2008.

1. waterskier2007 macrumors 68000

waterskier2007

so i searched the forums, and all i got were threads about if 3g will be available through software update, which is stupid because of course its not a software update. what i want to know is if i have an iphone, and the iphone 2, or whatever its called comes out with 3g, do you think apple will allow a person to buy a iphone 2, and then take out the sim card, put their iphone v1 sim card in, and sync it and everything would be normal?

thoughts?

2. josielinnea macrumors regular

josielinnea

yes, of course. Why wouldn't they?

The only other reason would be if the new phone required a specific 3G-sim. But then you would probably just have to visit AT&T or whatever and ask them for a 3G-sim.

3. DogcowUK macrumors member

This, like all "the future of iPhone" questions has no definitive answer. The general consensus is "probably".

Can we please have an iPhone FAQ created and made sticky :confused:

4. michaelsviews macrumors 65816

Not sure what AT&T SIM is in your iPhone but I'd bet that it already says 3G on it as do 99.9% of them in my area. Now when the new model comes out "According to press releases by AT&T to be in June 2008" You SHOULD be able to buy the new device and just switch SIMS, BUT your going to have to register that new iPHONE with Apple's iTunes system so more or less your probably just going to end up activating the new one as the old one and when the activation goes through the phone number will be associated with the IMEI number of the new iPhone . I can say from a HTC/AT&T 8525 going from EDGE to 3G is a HUGE difference. Very Very Noticeable .

Personally I sold my iPhone because I want the 3G, but I want to tether also on my MBP, and the most dollar conscience way is with T-Mobile where I was told there is NO tethering charge. Whats amazing is AT&T is the "Largest Network" but Verizon is already on the move for 4G and LTE, AT&T is always going to be playing catch up and they still do NOT have 3G up in all there areas.

5. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

Of course, you could combine the two devices and give the iPhone portable 3G access.

Just install that free WiFi router program on the 8525, and carry it hidden in one pocket. It becomes a 3G hotspot.

Then connect the iPhone to it over WiFi.

Voila!

6. michaelsviews macrumors 65816

Good Point, I'll pass that along, I failed to mention the 8525 is my son's , for now I am using an old Razr, Heck I have so many rollover minutes now I could go a Year Plus and still not use them all.

Thanks for the information though appreciate it :)

7. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

The downside is you'd need two phone accounts, one for the 8525 and one for the iPhone (assuming you wanted to use it as a phone). Hmm. Gee, an 8525 and an iPod touch would work, too.

But you could also add a web server to the 8525 and serve up local copies of your favorite iPhone web apps, effectively giving you "offline" access. All sorts of weird possibilities.

:)

8. iStefmac macrumors regular

This should be an automated answer to every question asked by everyone about anything forthcoming about the iPhone.

Probably. Thats the only possible answer.