Weird 8 core mc pro dvd problume

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Bray90820, Sep 16, 2010.

1. Bray90820 macrumors member

have a mac pro and it read Almost any disc format i throw at it cd, data dvds burned dvd movies but the one it wont play are store bought movies such as scary movie and the big bang theory they also have a loud buz/vibration noise

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Have you tried VLC Player or will the commercial video DVDs not even show up in Finder?

3. Bray90820 thread starter macrumors member

They show up in the finder but nothing will play them not even vlc they also are the only dics that give me a loud buz/vibration noise

4. vansouza macrumors 68000

vansouza

5. Bray90820 thread starter macrumors member

6. vansouza macrumors 68000

vansouza

Since not much is happening here you might consider calling AppleCare.

7. Bray90820 thread starter macrumors member

:star: apple tried to help me but they couldn't find the problem

8. Bray90820 thread starter macrumors member

apple tried to help me but they couldn't find the problem

9. jerry333 macrumors member

jerry333

There are some store bought DVDs that just plain don't play. Some disks will play on a regular DVD but not a Mac (Mac Pro or iMac) and sometimes they just won't play on anything. I've even gone so far as to order the same movie from another source and it still wouldn't play.

Interestingly the disks exhibit the same symptoms. That is if the original one played one place but not the other, the replacement would do the same. If the original didn't play on either then neither did the replacement. And a few would play from the superdrive but not after ripping.

The suspects are: a) Some weird copy protection. b) The DVDs are created with equipment that is out of calibration. c) A large batch of DVDs were damaged so that multiple suppliers have DVDs from the same batch.

10. old-wiz macrumors G3

DVDs are constantly being updated with newer copy protection. It is not in any way surprising that the DVD of a new popular movie will not play on a computer, but may or may not play on a stand alone DVD player. The standalones can often ignore things that the computer will choke on.

This is all part of the entertainment industry's soooo successful campaign to stop piracy.

All it does is stop legit users from playing their DVDs.

It's even worse with blu-ray. You need constant updates to the firmware.