Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

culo77

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 4, 2010
Chicago
I have this odd AirPods Mic issue going on, wondering if anyone else is having it or there is a solution? I have the 1st get AirPods for a long time now, but oddly since I think February I have noticed that no one can hear me on a call when the AirPods are connected to the iPhone or iPad. But the weird part is when I am on a jog and the AirPods are connected to my LTE watch (not connect to phone) everyone can hear me super clear.

I have "forgot this device" and repaired it multiple times. Switched the setting from left to right mic. Turned off and on automatic detection. Cleaned the things. And I did voice recordings of each setting each time and I am not audible at all on iPad or iPhone. Yet when connected to the LTE watch(not connected to phone) with any setting change I did I am loud and clear on the voice memos.

This leads me to believe its a software issue, or some setting that is hidden or I missed that is causing this.

Now I have wanted to buy the 2nd gen or Pro's, but it seems that if its a software thing I will have the same issue and just be lighter in the wallet. All was good until about February and since I have been using the wired EarPods for calls, work, and video conferences and really want to use the AirPods like I used to.

Any ideas?

doobry

macrumors regular
Mar 5, 2010
pretty sure if it was a widespread issue you'd have seen or heard or about it by now.

get the pro's, you know you want to :) I can attest to their goodness's..

Andrwatln

macrumors newbie
Nov 22, 2020
I definitely think it’s wide spread. I’m having this issue, as are two of my buddies and my sister in law. A quick search of Apple forums shows that a number of other people are having the same issue.

SayCheese

macrumors 68000
Jun 14, 2007
Oxfordshire, England
My 1st gen Airpods are intermittent. I answered a call earlier and couldn't be heard on the other end I had to switch to the phone speaker.

I then tested by calling my wife and her calling me, there was no issue. Seems intermittent. I've been having this issue for a few months.

culo77

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 4, 2010
Chicago
So glad to hear other people are having issues just like me. I truly thought i jacked up some easy setting that i just kept missing in the troubleshooting.

I guess I will skip AirPod upgrade since it may happen to the new ones.

7thson

macrumors 65816
May 13, 2012
Six Rivers, CA
Hmmm. I experienced a similar issue but chalked it up to sweat infiltrating the circuitry. Maybe it was something else. Has anyone tried the “reset network settings” on their respective devices? It seems like it has something to do with the iPhone or iPad and not the AirPods themselves.

5H3PH3RD

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2011
I have this odd AirPods Mic issue going on, wondering if anyone else is having it or there is a solution? I have the 1st get AirPods for a long time now, but oddly since I think February I have noticed that no one can hear me on a call when the AirPods are connected to the iPhone or iPad. But the weird part is when I am on a jog and the AirPods are connected to my LTE watch (not connect to phone) everyone can hear me super clear.

I have "forgot this device" and repaired it multiple times. Switched the setting from left to right mic. Turned off and on automatic detection. Cleaned the things. And I did voice recordings of each setting each time and I am not audible at all on iPad or iPhone. Yet when connected to the LTE watch(not connected to phone) with any setting change I did I am loud and clear on the voice memos.

This leads me to believe its a software issue, or some setting that is hidden or I missed that is causing this.

Now I have wanted to buy the 2nd gen or Pro's, but it seems that if its a software thing I will have the same issue and just be lighter in the wallet. All was good until about February and since I have been using the wired EarPods for calls, work, and video conferences and really want to use the AirPods like I used to.

Any ideas?
I have this issue and its persistent and ongoing since iOS14 released. Are you still having the issue?

culo77

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 4, 2010
Chicago
Hmmm. I experienced a similar issue but chalked it up to sweat infiltrating the circuitry. Maybe it was something else. Has anyone tried the “reset network settings” on their respective devices? It seems like it has something to do with the iPhone or iPad and not the AirPods themselves.

I have done the network settings twice and done the pair and repair.

I have this issue and its persistent and ongoing since iOS14 released. Are you still having the issue?
Yes, and I have since given away the Apple Watch and found when I am outside with noise connected to the phone it works. But when I am indoors and its quiet nobody can hear me. Just odd.

5H3PH3RD

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2011
I have done the network settings twice and done the pair and repair.

Yes, and I have since given away the Apple Watch and found when I am outside with noise connected to the phone it works. But when I am indoors and its quiet nobody can hear me. Just odd.
Have you reported it to Apple?

culo77

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 4, 2010
Chicago
Do you have an open case number? asking as I will so a +1 to your case if so.
Not an open one, is there a way you can check for an old one? I don't see a case number for my closed Apple Watch issue in November either.

culo77

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 4, 2010
Chicago
Update; I caved in and bought the 2nd Gen AirPods. So far they work perfectly and the Get 1's still have the same issue. I guess I got good use out the first pair, and the battery would only last about 1 hour for the left pod and 2 for the right pod. Still wish there was a solution and I would be able to extend for another year or 2 before buying.

5H3PH3RD

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2011
Update; I caved in and bought the 2nd Gen AirPods. So far they work perfectly and the Get 1's still have the same issue. I guess I got good use out the first pair, and the battery would only last about 1 hour for the left pod and 2 for the right pod. Still wish there was a solution and I would be able to extend for another year or 2 before buying.
Mine are second Gen, so it’s not limited to a specific generation.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.