weird airport behavior

Discussion in 'macOS' started by howard, Apr 19, 2007.

1. howard macrumors 68020

howard

my airport card keeps picking up a different network than mine when I restart or wake my computer up. I have mine set to the first default network to choose. there are like 10 networks in the area and its possible this one it keeps choosing is stronger than mine. Is their any way to get around this?

thanks

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I'm not at my mac right now, but there should be an option to ONLY automatically connect to a preferred network. The option is something like what to do if a preferred network is not found. The correct selection is something like "keep looking for a preferred network."

3. howard thread starter macrumors 68020

howard

i do have that checked, however I also checked to ask me before joining a none preferred network, and at first it tells me that none of my preferred networks are available, even though when I click on the airport mine is in their and I can access it.

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Mmm, what is the configuration of your network? How poor is your signal strength? This can happen if your signal strength is really marginal. It might possibly also happen based on config (security, MAC filtering, SSID hiding).

5. howard thread starter macrumors 68020

howard

its with an airport express, and the signal strength is full bars. This started happening when I moved my computer 2ft. literally, towards the wall.

6. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

If possible, play around with the orientation of the Express - try rotating it around. Could be there's something strongly interfering on the other side of the wall. Else go into the admin utility for the Express and change the channel. Will have to play around to see what channel to use.