Weird AirPort disconnects

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Tyrion, Mar 24, 2011.

1. Tyrion macrumors 6502a

I'm using a 2011 MBP and an AirPort Extreme Basestation (latest generation). I'm getting good speeds; everything works fine - but sometimes I lose all wireless connectivity when I boot my Win7 gaming rig. Just today, it happened twice: I'm fine and dandy with my MBP, then I boot my PC to download a game off Steam, and a few minutes in my connection is gone on both machines, as well as my iPhone and my iPad. The light on the AEBS is still green, but it can't be found by the MAc or the PC anymore. The issue is fixed - at least temporarily - by rebooting the Base Station. Still, I guess it's only a matter of time until it happens again. Is anyone else experiencing this? It really only happens intermittently, but it's incredibly annoying.

2. jdelgado, Mar 24, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2011

jdelgado macrumors regular

Me too ...

You are not alone. It happens to me too from time to time, and also have to reboot the AEBS. However, sometimes it just comes back by itself.
    I have a 2010 MBP (15in i7), but a next-to-last generation AEBS.
    I would also like to know if there is a real fix for this.

3. Tyrion thread starter macrumors 6502a

Another observation: It only happens when I'm downloading large files on the PC, e. g. in Steam. If it's simply a case of the PC and the MBP being online at the same time, there's no problem at all. It's as if the AEBS couldn't deal with more than one demanding client - which is strange, because I have a 50/5 connection.

4. Jolly Giant macrumors 6502a

Jolly Giant

you might want to check for wireless interference.

just for the heck of it, download iStumbler and check if there are any other networks in your area broadcasting on the same channel as your router.

try changing your channel as far away from those as possible.

5. jdelgado macrumors regular

Thanks for the input. I did this sometime ago, but did no help to stop the problem, although it became less frequent. I still have to restart the AEBS from time to time.
    I have not noticed if the problem arises when there is heavier traffic; I will check this.
    I use VMs quite a bit, but there seems there is no problem between the windows VM and the Mac.