Weird Airport Express behavior (long)

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by JimBanville, Jan 18, 2015.

1. JimBanville macrumors member

Ok. I'm cheap and live in a smaller home, so I'm only using a newer Aiprort Express as my router. I have cable internet. I set up the express (about 3 months ago) using app in iPhone. I used wpa2 personal. Everything has been fine until last night. I tried to connect someone's laptop to my wifi. Windows laptop saw my network but wouldn't connect or only partially connected. I unplugged/plugged in everything, checked cords, plugged in standy-by d-link router to verify I was getting a good signal from the street, but nothing worked. Using the app, I decided to factory reset the express. It started the process and then gave me a Amber blinking light that wouldn't go away. The iPhone app didn't "see" the express at all anymore, but the laptop did (very odd behavior with my limited knowledge), although it was still not passing the internet on through it. I tried pressing the express tiny reset button and even tried the trick of pressing it while I plugged it in. I still could get a solid green light and Internet. Every other router I've installed (including this one, or so I remembered) would send out internet over wifi after it was finished booting up, albeit unprotected and not "configured". So, after some research, I downloaded express utility to the windows laptop (after inserting older d-link router in place of the express) and connected express lan port to the laptop. I used that utility to reset the express and then configure it. I was getting three issues that showed a yellow circle (like caution traffic signal) next to the router in the utility. I can't remember exactly, but they dealt with no IP, default password and no security turned on. Long story short, using manual configuration utility (which I'm hesitant to do, since its all voodoo to me!), I changed the factory password, set to wpa2 personal and unplugged Ethernet from modem from d-link router and into express. I got a green light next to the router name in the utility and the light on the express went green.
    Even after all this, windows laptop still couldn't get internet. After more research and I turned off firewall and rebooted and finally got internet! In the end, it looks like it was a windows firewall issue (although another windows laptop I connected to my wifi a month ago had no issues connected to same express), and doing the factory reset on the express someone threw it out of whack. Maybe it was a failed reset since I'm 99% sure I've reset it before and it was back up, sending out unprotected internet wifi after reboot. Does any of this make sense to any of you that, unlike me, actually know something about the magic of wifi?? I'm a little worried about the little white box now :( Thanks in advance for your advice!

2. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

I would set it as the DHCP and NAT server if not already as some clients can have issues with bridge mode.

3. JimBanville thread starter macrumors member

Maybe I'm not understanding you, but I'm not in bridge mode. I only inserted d link router temporarily to verify I had signal from street and to get wifi to laptop for downloading airport utility. I only use cable modem > express.

I do appreciate your advice :)

4. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Try resetting the Express by removing power, inserting a paper clip into the reset button, plugging into power, and holding the button until it flashes rapidly.

5. JimBanville thread starter macrumors member

I tried that last night.
    First I cut power to it...no luck.
    Then held reset button until it flashed quickly...no luck.
    Then held in reset button when I plugged power line in...no luck.
    Resetting/configuring it while connected to express utility on laptop with Ethernet connection was the only solution.
    Resetting it from iPhone app was impossible after first attempt because the app could no longer "find it", although the laptop could connect to it wirelessly (though still not passing internet). Weird. It was blinking amber and connected via wifi to laptop, but wouldn't pass the Internet and was invisible to setup app on iPhone.

6. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

What generation Express is this?

7. JimBanville thread starter macrumors member

Latest. A few months old

8. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Perhaps you need to book an appointment at the Genius Bar if you can't get it to reset and reconfigure.