Weird apple pay moment

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by eclipse01, Dec 27, 2014.

1. eclipse01 macrumors 68020

eclipse01

So i was using my tablet and phone at the same time (see sig for models) and left to go do something and set my phone on top of my tablet. When i came back, my apple pay screen was up with the figer print scanner waiting for me to buy something. I turned the screen off which seemed to cancel everything. Anyone know what happened?

2. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

Nexus 7's nfc triggered the Apple Pay. Apple took (what I consider) the lazy way out. Anything NFc will trigger Apple Pay since that is all the iPhone looks for. It's also the reason (at least right now) why we can literally do nothing with the NFC chip on iOS outside of using Apple Pay; NFC is "always on", waiting for you to pay for something.

3. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Nexus 7 has NFC (located smack dab in the middle of the tablet), right? If so, it triggered the Apple Pay screen.

4. eclipse01 thread starter macrumors 68020

eclipse01

Thats what i figured, but had i made the scan, what would have purchased?

5. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Nexus 12.

6. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Nothing. The phone would've sent a tokenized transaction, your tablet would have no idea what that's about, and the transaction would go nowhere.

7. eclipse01 thread starter macrumors 68020

eclipse01

Thats what I figured

Thanks

8. sunfire7 macrumors member

I wish future ios updates unleash NFC capabilities

9. eclipse01 thread starter macrumors 68020

eclipse01

Just curious,

what else would you like to do that airdrop or other things can't already do?

*Serious question..*

10. sunfire7 macrumors member

[​IMG]

11. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Withdraw cash from ATMs with your bank card in Apple Pay.

12. bushido Suspended

bushido

Metro pass & student ID

13. cookiesnfooty macrumors 6502

cookiesnfooty

If you look at one of the NFC features of been able to tap the device against another to switch it on and set it up. Like the QX100.

14. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

At my workplace, the NFC ID badge card readers (for certain secure doors) will trigger the iPhone's NFC.

15. Mak47 macrumors 6502a

Unleash NFC capabilities? Like what? Aside from use as a mobile wallet, NFC is a totally valueless feature--and until ApplePay, mobile wallets were totally valueless.

I'm not being facetious, I truly want to know what NFC is actually good for? What am I missing?

Tapping phones to send files? MMS/iMessage are faster and more convenient most of the time. Airdrop already accomplishes this for larger files more reliably. In fact, Samsung's version--S Beam--which requires touching two devices for NFC pairing--actually doesn't use NFC to transfer data. It uses WiFi direct, just like Airdrop. It just adds the NFC "Bump" thing as an extra step. Maybe this is to make users think that NFC is actually useful.

Quick setup/pairing with other devices? Bluetooth LE already does it. You can do it with existing iPhones & Apple TV for example.

16. ipedro macrumors 68040

ipedro

You're missing a lot. Opening doors is the first very obvious use that comes to mind. Security fobs at offices and condos could easily be replaced by the NFC chip in the iPhone. More uses: transit passes use NFC. You could get in the subway by tapping your phone. Eventually, retailers will join in with their own loyalty programs. ApplePay is just the beginning.