Weird Apple store experience...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Alucardx03, Feb 18, 2008.

1. Alucardx03 macrumors 6502a

So I finally convinced my cousin to jump into the Apple world with a Macbook. We arrived at the Apple store fifteen minutes before close with the exact configuration in mind. The employee seemed nice at first, but started to get weird halfway through the transaction (looking at us strangely, and so on).

To get the student discount, the employee took my cousin's school ID, as well as driver's license.

After he gave the total of the Macbook, my cousin wrote out a check. The store clerk looked at my cousin, looked at the check, looked at my cousin again, and looked back to the check. Obviously, something wasn't right. He said, "hold on," and disappeared into the back room.

He emerged a few minutes later with the check and said, "I'm sorry. I can't accept this check." When asked why, he responded, "because it doesn't have the bank's address on it."

I was taken aback by this, considering it had never happened with one of my checks, or my cousin's. Since there was a $1000 a day limit to his check card, we left empty handed. At home, I studied two of my checkbooks, two of my mom's, and my cousin checked another of his own. None of them had the bank's address on them.

My initial reaction is that the employee thought something shady was going on, because nothing about the transaction made sense. Considering he saw three forms of ID (the school ID, the driver's license, and the name on the checks), I'm not sure if this theory holds any water.

I was just wondering if this had ever happened to anyone else. Personally, I bought my MBP with a check, as well as a $5000 TV with no hassle at all.

It's just frustrating because his first experience with Apple was a negative one, and now he's beginning to get turned off to the entire prospect...

Any thoughts?

2. tuneman07 macrumors regular

I used to work retail back in the day- at a shady place in the ghetto and we would constantly get people trying to pass shady checks. Most of them were late in the day very close to closing time (probably hoping employees would be in a hurry and not paying attention). Checks are always going to be scrutinized especially for very large purchases. It was so bad where I worked we actually wouldn't take checks from certain area codes, and needed particular forms of ID as well. Its not that surprising that there was an issue with a check and such a large purchase.

3. Mac In School macrumors 65816

Quite honestly, I'm shocked that they accept checks at all. Check fraud is so bad these days, that I can't buy a cheeseburger at McDonalds with a check anymore. Pretty impressive that Apple is willing to take this kind of risk on high-dollar items, imo.

4. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

You would think that Apple would use the instant check debit system, to immediately convert the paper check into an electronic one.

5. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

Checks have gone South. I was just discussing a bad check we took a year ago; the DA found the person that wrote the check had killed her landlord and was on the run!

6. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

Most of the Apple stores I've seen have dramatically reduced or eliminated their classic POS systems. They now rely heavily on hand-held little computerized gadgets that pretty much accept CC only.

And yes, there are very very few business establishments that still accept checks. At least that I've noticed.

7. kwong2006 macrumors regular

So, is he buying a Mac or no? Sorry he had such a poor experience, but hey, the safety measures are really there for his own good.

8. tony-in-japan macrumors regular

“Show MEEEEEE the money!!!”

Why did you leave empty handed?

If your cousin wanted a Macbook so much, couldn’t he nip to the nearest bank, get the hard cash out, return to the store, slap that lovely-jubliee onto that genius bar and ‘voila!’ -- mission completed.

Everyone is happy :)

(ahh, sorry, it was near closing time... what about the next day?)

9. dukeblue91 macrumors 65816

dukeblue91

He also could have put the $1000.00 on his debit card and the balance on the check, they may had been more comfortable that way but who knows.

10. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Especially 15 minutes before closing time. There is so much cheque fraud going on it's crazy.

11. RevolutionOne macrumors member

RevolutionOne

The Apple store I worked at wouldn't accept cheques at all..

Well unless for business transactions..

12. gonyr macrumors 6502

The people behind you in the line at McDonalds must have been so happy to see that checkbook come out for an 89 cent purchase.

13. Z.Beeblebrox macrumors regular

Z.Beeblebrox

So, just a question... why did you wait until 15 minutes before closing to go in and buy a computer? That's a major purchase. I'd give it a decent amount of time to get my questions answered and to talk with the sales people about accessories, warranty, AppleCare, etc.

14. mrwizardno2 macrumors 6502a

mrwizardno2

when I bought mine it was a 10 minute deal. I walked in, bought it, and left. if you know what you want, why waste time listening to them trying to get you to buy something you don't need?

15. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

With a name like yours, you shouldn't be so logical ;)

16. barijazz macrumors 6502

Was this apple store by any chance in the ghetto?

17. barijazz macrumors 6502

His cousin is the flash.

18. carlgo macrumors 68000

I swear this is true. Yesterday I went to Orchard Supply. The girl in front of me bought 2 or 3 little wood screws. They cost a total of .17. She put them on her credit card. It actually went through. I had pulled out some change and was just going to pay for them myself to get the line moving.

19. AndyK macrumors 65816

AndyK

If you've got the plastic to guarantee it, why didn't you just use that?

Cheques are for the past, chip 'n' pin is the way forward.

20. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Hmmm...

Dude, it looks way shady for two kids coming in right before closing time to pay with a check. I understand your frustration, but like most people have mentioned, check fraud is rampant and the two of you fit the description almost to a tee.

When I worked for Apple Retail, is was always a pain in the ass process to accept a check because of all the safeguards and most were declined. You can always call the bank and ask them to temporarily raise the limit.

21. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

Just checked my checks, no bank address - but I rarely use checks.

I don't see the big deal, come back the next day with cash/credit card and walk away happy.

So was this Mayfair or Bayshore?

22. Diatribe macrumors 601

Diatribe

That goes both ways though, I have waited for people forever while they were trying to pay the exact amount with their change.

It is pretty crazy though that Apple would even accept checks with all the frauds.

23. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I've never seen checks carry your bank's address. If you have checks shouldn't you at least have a debit card as well?

24. AndyK macrumors 65816

AndyK

They do in the UK. It allows for easy identification / authorization and clearance.

25. juanster macrumors 68020

juanster

wth I did not know apple still took cheques that. Pretty brave IMO