Weird Apple TV Tagging Issue

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by ant1ers, Sep 12, 2008.

1. ant1ers macrumors newbie

First off, the ATV works fine apart from this one issue. Video, music, podcast - everything streams fine. The problem is that when I'm viewing the TV episodes stored on the host computer, the ATV lists them by the actor listed under the Artist field in the file info column, rather than by either file name or show name. Any ideas on changing this so that my tv shows are actually sorted by the name of the show rather than the name of the actor?

2. kolax macrumors G3

Did you buy them off the iTMS or download/rip them yourself? If so, how did you tag them?

Best software for tagging is MetaX (google it).

3. gadabout macrumors member

tag shows with the show title in the artist field. use a different field (actors, comments, description, etc) to label the actors. appletv displays shows by artist. weird, but it's how it is

4. ant1ers thread starter macrumors newbie

Both meta-X tags and manual tags show up by author.

gadabout, guess I'm going to have to use your solution and retag all the tv shows so that the artist field is the show name. Guess I'll have to switch the actual actors to the album artist. Ah well. Thanks for the help.

5. gadabout macrumors member

you may get weird results if the album artist is different from artist in the case of tv shows. shows may not be displayed alphabetically anymore. i'm not sure though.

in metaX, you can edit the actual actor tags, which may be the better place for that. that's just my opinion though