Weird Apple Watch issue

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by tl01, Oct 12, 2016.

1. tl01 macrumors 68020

My son had his iPhone replaced recently. I thought we had paired his watch to the new phone. He says now that we didn't. He had his watch in his pocket today and the screen must have turned on and he must have maxed out his chances to enter his password. The watch wants him to use the phone to reset the password which he can't do. Is my only option to take the watch to the Apple Store?

2. tl01 thread starter macrumors 68020

Here's what the watch says.

Attached Files:

3. angrytoothbrush macrumors regular

angrytoothbrush

Very Interesting. You can reset the watch without the phone using these steps.

1. Keep your Apple Watch on its charger while you complete these steps.
    2. Press and hold the side button until you see Power Off.
    3. Firmly press the Power Off slider, then lift.
    4. Tap Erase all content and settings.
    If you are unwilling to erase the watch a genius may be your best bet and youll have to tell us what he did!

4. tl01 thread starter macrumors 68020

I took it to Apple. I didn't have an issue with erasing the Apple Watch and wasn't offered a different way to do it. I think he did it exactly the way you specified. Does this remove any activation lock on the watch?

5. BrettDS macrumors 65816

No. The watch will still be activation locked and when you attempt to pair it with a new phone you will need to enter the Apple ID and password that it was originally configured with.

6. tl01 thread starter macrumors 68020

Got it! Makes sense. I was hoping there was still another layer of protection. That's why we were able to set it up without an issue then. Thanks!