weird applications folder.

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by BaBayOOsa, Feb 9, 2011.

1. BaBayOOsa macrumors member

ok so when i open a finder window (any doesn't matter which one) and on the left side bar. i see my name (the user im in) and when i click that i see the usual Desktop, Documents, Downloads, Library, etc.

but the weird thing is when i open my applications folder in there all i see are 2 games that i recently downloaded (L4D/L4D2) and none of my applications. but if i click on applications normally on the left side bar (or in my dock) i see all my usuals. Itunes, Imovie, Iphoto, SBP, etc.

but then why is that folder in there?

how do i get my normal folder in there?

and once my normal folder is in there how do i get rid of that weird one? without losing these shortcuts or the games.

also when i search "Applications" in my spotlight i see the fallowing.

A folder without the applications logo on it that has the fallowing in it: Idvd, Imovie, Iphoto, Iweb, Itunes. is this folder normal?

A folder that has all my applications in it you know Itunes, Imovie, Iphoto, SBP, etc. this folder in normal right? and thats the folder that should be in my name when clicked on the left side bar of my finder window.

And a folder with only the L4D/L4D2 shortcuts in them. this is the same folder that is in my name on the left side bar of my finder window.

so my main question is this. how do i get my normal folder back there? is the first folder i listed normal? and where do i put the folder with L4D/L4D2 in it?

2. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Sounds like you've created an Applications Folder in your User Folder (the one with the little white house - your "home" folder). The main Applications folder should show up when you double-click your hard drive icon.

Open the main one, then open another window and navigate to your Home folder, then open the second Applications Folder. Drag and drop the stuff in there to the main one, then go up a level and delete the folder.

3. BaBayOOsa thread starter macrumors member

ok so i moved those 2 items into my real one and then deleted the old one mow how do i get my real one into my "home" because when i try and drag it in it starts copying :/

4. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

If you buy games off Steam, I believe it puts them in an Applications folder in your home folder, not in THE Applications folder. This is a bit strange, but isn't "incorrect", OSX has long had the idea of different 'domains' on the same machine.

Also, are you trying to move THE Applications folder into your home folder? If so, don't. Very bad idea! ;)

5. BaBayOOsa thread starter macrumors member

so im not suposed to have a applications folder in my "users/home" folder? im pretty sure i used to.......

but if i didn't used to and im not supposed to then everything else i stated is fine? because im just trying to make sure i don't have a 2 copies of my applications folder.

6. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

Normally, there isn't an Applications folder in your Home folder. If you buy games off Steam, it seems to create that folder and put games in there (well, I think it puts little 'mini apps' which if you open them, open Steam and launch the game); not sure why.

If you want, I think you can copy these to the 'main' Applications folder (at the top level of your hard drive) if you like and they should work - I haven't tried it.

My previous warning was in case you were trying to move the main Applications folder into your Home folder. That would cause problems - it needs to be at the top-level of your hard-drive.

7. BaBayOOsa thread starter macrumors member

ok so i guess i should never have a applications folder in there.

also yeah i moved them out they are fine and launch-able form another folder.

8. Gregg2 macrumors 603

You would only place applications in your home folder if you want to be the only user to have access to them. If you're the only user, it doesn't matter if you have some there and some in the "main" Applications Folder. If you have multiple users with their own accounts, you need the applications that everyone has to use in the "main" Applications Folder.

9. bmcgonag macrumors 65816

bmcgonag

You can create an Applications folder in your Home folder. You can move most applications that install via the Drag and Drop method into this folder as well, and they will run. This will keep other users from accessing these applications if you don't want them too. That may be why Steam does this - not sure of it.

There are exceptions, and its just a matter of trial and error as to which applications have to be in the /Applications folder in order to run properly.

10. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Well, applications should run from any folder. The thing you have to look out for is updates. Some installers look in the "main" Applications Folder, and may not work, or may install a second copy.