Weird Applications folder

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by sTcA, Mar 28, 2011.

1. sTcA macrumors newbie

good afternoon,

I've an "Applications" folder in a directory under my 3rd hard drive, not in the system disk and it is strangely under another directory.

Here the infos about the mentioned directory
    http://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee116/sTcA/Capturedcran2011-03-28223116.png

As you can see it's a zero Kb folder but when I try to delete it, my MacPro, SnowLeopard, asks me the password like it is trying to erase the real Applications directory.

Any suggestion about how to get rid of this "fake" Applications directory?

Thanks,
    steve

2. Gregg2 macrumors 603

I can't think of a good reason to click the link you provided. Why not describe the location in your post, like Macintosh Hard Drive / Users / My User Name / Applications ?

Also, not sure what "not in the System disk" means.

But, if this folder is empty, why not supply the password and see what happens. (presuming that you have a backup of everything)

3. Shadow%20Mac macrumors 6502

A similar issue occurred for me after I installed Adobe Photoshop Extended CS5
    No solution yet

4. wpotere Guest

Wow, it is only a pic, relax.... :rolleyes:

I have seen issues like this in the past. Have you tired to repair the permissions on the drive and then try to remove it?

5. sTcA thread starter macrumors newbie

the path of the "fake" Applications is
    RaidDrive/ZRaw/450_459/Applications

OS directory is under another disk: Macintosh HD

If I supply the password it starts deleting many things (don't know what as I don't know to what is linked this directory), then I stop it as I'm afraid of a major mess (even if I've backups and time machine on).

Also on my computer there's installed a CS5, don't know though when this directory appeared and if there's any connection between the two things.

I'm trying to repair permissions (takes a while).

The other weird thing is that Spotlight doesn't find this directory (other 3 with the same name yes, but not this one).

6. simsaladimbamba

You could enable Finder to show HIDDEN FILES and see, if there are any hidden files inside that folder.
    You can also right click on that folder and select GET INFO to see how big it is.

How to attach an image to your MR post.

7. creator2456 macrumors 68000

creator2456

8. simsaladimbamba

Thanks, I clicked on it yesterday, but completely forgot it.
    I don't understand the "Personnalisé" permissions though.

9. sTcA thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for the info about how posting images

I've changed the permission from personalized to r&w and I now see that is actually a copy of the "real "Applications" folder. see print screen.

Still, how to get rid of this? thanks,

[​IMG]

10. simsaladimbamba

If it is just a copy and you changed the permissions to have write access, you can now delete that folder. I once had a duplicate Applications folder inside the Applications folder and I deleted it after some time. No problems since then, though I switched my HDD for an SSD, thus I reinstalled Mac OS X anyway.

11. wpotere Guest

The only thing that I can think is that there is a symbolic link to the other directory.

Might be better if you navigate to it via a terminal and then do a "ls -al" so that we can see the full permissions across the directory.

12. sTcA thread starter macrumors newbie

I cannot navigate to the directory:

[​IMG]

13. sTcA thread starter macrumors newbie

I am trying with a couple of apps to see what happens...

14. sTcA thread starter macrumors newbie

done ! I've deleted all the applications and then the directory. When deleting the directory the system asks the password... Everything looks fine and the "fake" directory is no longer there. Still don't know how and when it has been created and why spotlight couldn't see it.