Weird battery behavior after calibration

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by iMpathetic, Nov 11, 2010.

1. iMpathetic macrumors 68030

iMpathetic

I've just calibrated my battery on my 2.4GHz MBP (let it run out until it slept, then woke it up, then used it till it shut down, then charged it) and it's stuck on "finishing charge". Additionally, the battery health has gone down to 23% from 37% since I have done this.

Does anyone know what to do?
    Thanks!

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

That's not the process for calibration. This should answer most, if not all, of your battery questions: Apple Notebook Battery FAQ

3. trigonometry macrumors 6502

trigonometry

23% battery health? I would think about getting the battery replaced. Plus that doesn't sound like the right calibration method. Maybe you were being succint to get to the point but after you let your computer shut off from battery depletion, you leave it off for 5 hours, then charge it to full, and let it remain charging for two hours. Sometimes this needs to be done twice in succession to achieve best results. Or so I've read.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

That's not the process, either. Read the link I posted.

5. trigonometry macrumors 6502

trigonometry

Damn. Your right. I was close though! Thanks.

6. iMpathetic thread starter macrumors 68030

iMpathetic

Bah, I was close enough. Thanks for the links, I actually read it but there were a couple hitches that I didn't see coming. First, it ran the battery down and was asleep for at least eight hours. It was still asleep when I woke up, but it's my only computer. So I plugged it in for half a second to wake it up, it didn't even start charging. Then, I ran it down off the reserve until it shut down completely.

I guess what I was wondering is whether or not the two hours of filling up the battery more was normal. It said it had like 2200mAH before the calibration; now it has 1300.

Seriously, I know I look like a total n00b but I read the documentation straight from Apple's website. I even let it stay full for a couple hours.

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

As the old saying goes, "Close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades." Calibration must be done exactly right, or your results can't be trusted.
    Try it again, using the Caffeine app to keep it from sleeping too soon, as suggested in that post.
    After completely draining the battery, it can take several hours to fully recharge.
    The purpose of calibration is to make your readings more accurate. That means that before calibration, it was 1300, but was inaccurately reporting it as 2200.

8. iMpathetic thread starter macrumors 68030

iMpathetic

Okay, thanks. Sorry if I came off as a little miffed. I just realized that I posted a stupid question and someone with 2400 posts on here should know better. I will try what you said. :)

New batteries are $40 or so... so if I really have about 1/4 life in my battery and I can get it to run for 2 hours with the brightness at about 2 bars short of dark, that's amazing! That means a new battery should run for like eight hours. Unless this is inaccurate.

9. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Where? I would never trust a battery that didn't come from Apple.
    It's not accurate. Your battery life will vary, depending on what you have running. Also, be aware that the indicated time remaining is a constantly-changing estimate, and may or may not be close to the actual life you get from a charge before your Mac shuts down.

10. iMpathetic thread starter macrumors 68030

iMpathetic

Well, I measured the time elapsed. I'm not so stupid that I take the time in the menu bar as gospel. :eek:

I mean, they get okay reviews and hold the same capacity. I don't see the point in flushing money down the toiled to get a battery sanctioned by His Steveness. People in China can probably figure out how to put a battery together.

11. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

No one is suggesting that you're stupid.
    That's your call. I only stated my opinion. Good luck.