Weird battery problem

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by neversaynever, Apr 1, 2011.

1. neversaynever macrumors member

neversaynever

I have a 3G, and its battery is draining a full percent every 30 seconds. I have changed battery (twice) but still nothing changed. Do you guys have any idea what could be the cause of this? I am expecting heat damage to one of the chips because for a while I overclocked my phone in the days where software overclock (un-underclock actually) possible. And I used mywi to distribute its 3G signal to the house where there was 4 or 5 concurrent devices using it for two weeks. After five or so minutes phone cut off charging because of overheating and only way I was able to use it was to put it inside the air conditioner. (First I tried the fridge, but apparently the fridge is quite an effective faraday cage - almost no signal could escape, so I opted for the A/C.)

The phone works fine, but the only problem is rapid battery discharge. Do you have any idea what did go wrong? Which chip I should replace if it's a chip failure (Power IC?) - or if it's a shortcut where should I look for it? This is not my main phone anymore (got an iPhone 4) so I'm open to experimentation, but I would like to give it to my mom if I can make this a working device.

Thanks for all the recommendations.

2. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

Surely you can't be serious.:rolleyes: The refrigerator and AC (for two weeks):rolleyes: weren't very good moves either...Ever hear of condensation? I would almost bet that the inside of that phone is corroded beyond repair.

3. neversaynever thread starter macrumors member

neversaynever

I am aware of that :) but in that time, both the phone wasn't my main phone anymore, and we direly needed internet access - so I accepted that phone will be trash in use or after that. But it performed admirably, so If possible I want to fix it completely.

4. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

Have fun...:D

5. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

You put a hot phone in a refrigerator, so that moisture would condense on the inside? Cool move...:rolleyes: