Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

raymondu999

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 11, 2008
My brother has just begun experiencing something very weird: Yesterday, he could run his MBP 2.2 SR for 4.5 hours on battery, wireless. Today, no wireless, he can run for around 1.5 hours, tops. He uses coconut battery, and checked. Yesterday, he had 5155mAh on his battery. Today, he has 5155, but for some reason the battery just begun to drain quicker. Any insights?

disdat

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2005
New England USA
I suppose it would depend on what he was doing. If he is running software that requires a lot of processor power, like games, photo editing, etc, then the battery will drain quicker.

raymondu999

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 11, 2008
Not really. He was doing the exact same things. Typing in iWork while iTunes was downloading Podcasts for him in the background. He used ethernet cable to save the battery life of his laptop, though yesterday he was doing that on the sofa by using wireless.

WhiskeyBusiness

macrumors newbie
Apr 2, 2008
I'm curious about the battery life too, I could have SWORN I got about five hours of battery life last week, now it's at 3.5. Maybe I'm drunk but I swear that's what I remember

zaney

macrumors regular
Apr 6, 2008
Middle of a field, UK
It's possible that there was an app running and hogging 100% cpu in the background. Possibly spotlight doing a re-index, or a crashed app (sometimes I've had apps crash on closure, so they disappear from the dock, but still take up 100% cpu). This would bring your battery life down to the less than 2 hours range.

MoeOz

macrumors member
Nov 18, 2007
sorry off topic , mine was new @ 100% in october and whenever i calibrate it [3 times so far] it goes down 2% and stays like that , now its 94% :confused: , any suggestions ?

MBP SR 2.2

Moe

kurzz

macrumors 6502
May 18, 2007
Try recalibrating the battery. Charge it to full, run off outlet for a few hours, then completely drain the battery...let it sleep until it hibernates. Then charge it back to full and let the battery rest again by running off outlet for a few hours.

raymondu999

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 11, 2008
It's possible that there was an app running and hogging 100% cpu in the background. Possibly spotlight doing a re-index, or a crashed app (sometimes I've had apps crash on closure, so they disappear from the dock, but still take up 100% cpu). This would bring your battery life down to the less than 2 hours range.

THANK YOU!!! YOU SAVED ME FROM HAVING TO SHELL OUT FOR A NEW BATTERY FOR MY BROTHER!! He had this weird process... PrintJob... it took up 100% of 1 CPU... and CPU activity on that CPU has been 100 all the time... It was by user _IP. Is this normal? Note: He wasn't connecting a printer at the time.

zaney

macrumors regular
Apr 6, 2008
Middle of a field, UK
THANK YOU!!! YOU SAVED ME FROM HAVING TO SHELL OUT FOR A NEW BATTERY FOR MY BROTHER!! He had this weird process... PrintJob... it took up 100% of 1 CPU... and CPU activity on that CPU has been 100 all the time... It was by user _IP. Is this normal? Note: He wasn't connecting a printer at the time.

Heh, no problem. I'm glad you found the culprit. That's my third fix of the day, I swear I should do this for a living.

I've just had a look through the system users and there's no user _IP, but there is a user _lp, with an 'L'. It's the user id for the Printing services daemon, so there's no rogue user. The only thing I can think of is that he's printed out something massive by accident (or something small that's caused a crash). The fact that there's no printer is irrelevant, as printer services handles other things, like PDF creation.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.