Weird behaviour on iPhone 6 Plus Touch Screen

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by kalebnate, Nov 5, 2014.

1. kalebnate, Nov 5, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2014

kalebnate macrumors 6502

The screen looks like it's possessed by someone randomly tapping and swiping around the phone's screen. For example, the spotlight keeps getting pulled down randomly and irregular intervals. Some other random parts of the screen get selected as well.

Why is this happening ? How can I fix this ? I tried erasing all content and starting the phone as new, but the problem persisted ....

UPDATE

Booked a Genius appointment and they replaced it. Had to show them how it happens although I was lucky because it's not possible to reproduce on demand. But as I was trying to access my settings it happened and showed the professional straight away.

2. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

Phone ever get wet? If not it sounds like you have a hardware problem and will need to get your phone replaced.

3. kalebnate thread starter macrumors 6502

Never touched water, that's hectic :/

4. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

Well like I said, if you have already restored and it still does it, it must be a hardware problem and you will need to replace your device or live iwth it!:rolleyes:

5. katiejaneshore macrumors newbie

Absolutely! If there's no accidental damage, take it to a store with appt. they will sort it out :)

6. techspin macrumors 6502a

Could be the ghost of Jobs trying to figure out how to use your phone one handed :p

7. SSonnentag macrumors member

Both my wife's 6 and my 6 Plus do this as well. It's not all the time though. Usually it's fine. The screen stops responding quite often though, and is eratic. Sometimes the keyboard is quick and responsive, at other times I have to hit letters multiple times, and then completely different letters appear in the text field. Rotating the phone a couple of times temporarily solves the problem.

8. katiejaneshore macrumors newbie

Try to restore, set up as new. Test. Then add back up. Sounds like software. If those steps don't work. It's hardware

9. MinEderPlayz macrumors 6502a

MinEderPlayz

Should not be that way. Faulty batch. Get appt & exchange for new.

10. themyst macrumors 6502

My friends 6+ has this issue as well, and severe input lag.

11. vgamedude macrumors 6502a

Sounds like what was happening with the nexus 7. The tablet wasn't grounded properly and thus experienced tons of phantom taps and swipes when not plugged in and charging, a lot of phones with cheap touch screen tech do this I believe. I've heard of the one plus one doing it too. Wouldn't have expected it from an iphone. Id return it.

12. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

OP any chance you are touching the screen while handling the phone? Or a case that's interfering?

13. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

OP said he did that in his original OP.

14. SSonnentag macrumors member

That was my first thought when I experienced this phenomenon. Nope, not touching anything but the leather case.

15. themyst macrumors 6502

It wouldn't matter anyway, the iPhone/iPad has that patented tech where it can detect if you're holding the phone on the screen and ignore that input.

16. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

Not what I said.

17. kalebnate thread starter macrumors 6502

What do you mean not grounded properly, I assume during manufacturing and not when charging at home ?

UPDATE

Booked a Genius appointment and they replaced it. Had to show them how it happens although I was lucky because it's not possible to reproduce on demand. But as I was trying to access my settings it happened and showed the professional straight away.

18. athand macrumors member

Does it happen when not charging? I've seen many third party chargers causing choppy touchscreen because of poor regulation or filtering.

19. kalebnate thread starter macrumors 6502

Yep, was happening whilst it wasn't charging.

20. athand macrumors member

Have you try using it naked, I mean without a case? Some of them cause capacitive interference!

21. kalebnate thread starter macrumors 6502

Was using the Apple Leather case, tried naked and same thing happened.