Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

akash.nu

macrumors G4
Original poster
May 26, 2016
I’m a bit perplexed with a new behaviour I’ve noticed on my Apple Watch 8. From time to time it shows just the time as attached, even though I’ve got always on display turned on.

Has this happened to anyone? I’ve tried to restart but that didn’t help.

279a6cbaf79812b18c526b7aa4118923.jpg

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal
I’m a bit perplexed with a new behaviour I’ve noticed on my Apple Watch 8. From time to time it shows just the time as attached, even though I’ve got always on display turned on.

Has this happened to anyone? I’ve tried to restart but that didn’t help.

279a6cbaf79812b18c526b7aa4118923.jpg
Which watchOS version? Is there any pattern when this pixies, eg nitification or such?

I’ve seen this on my Ultra, latest OS, over the past month or so after I end my workout (Apple standard app), sometimes, when I raise my arm after finishing the workout, when I get the achievements like reach movegoal, move streak etc. but only after that, never after any other notification or just randomly.
I have to press the crown to bring back the normal screen, touching the screen doesn’t anything, and I have AOD on…
Figured it’s a bug that’ll get resolved sooner or later

Reactions: Allen_Wentz

akash.nu

macrumors G4
Original poster
May 26, 2016
I am on the latest public OS, not on beta and yes I have started only noticing this recently. So may be after the last update.

I also noticed this after my workout today as you mentioned.

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal
I am on the latest public OS, not on beta and yes I have started only noticing this recently. So may be after the last update.

I also noticed this after my workout today as you mentioned.
I’m not on beta either…
Have you seen this happening on other occasions, not after workout?

akash.nu

macrumors G4
Original poster
May 26, 2016
I’m not on beta either…
Have you seen this happening on other occasions, not after workout?

Yep have noticed it on other occasions as well not related to any activity happening on the watch. Sometimes it just goes to that mode automatically. I haven’t found a reason why this is happening though.

srknpower

macrumors 6502
Nov 28, 2016
I am not sure it is a bug because it happens both on my Series 5 and Series 8. It happens when i raise my wrist when I am using a health app like Oxygen Level app.

kitKAC

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2022
This started happening on my Series 6 after the last watchOS update, restarting my Watch put it back to normal.

akash.nu

macrumors G4
Original poster
May 26, 2016
so how frequently does this occur to you? I've seen it maybe 3 or 4 times over the past couple weeks, and I cannot recreate it ...

I can’t recreate it either but I see it at least once everyday.

NoelWalker

macrumors regular
Oct 4, 2021
I have had the same issue since the last watchOS update. Probably just a weird bug. A simple restart will solve this. I hope it gets patched soono_O

mblm85

macrumors member
Apr 3, 2010
Sheffield, UK
This happens if your watch isn't set to Always On display and times out on a screen other than a watch face and also if it's on reserve power. It also comes up if the watch is turned off and you press the crown for a few seconds.

kitKAC

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2022
This happens if your watch isn't set to Always On display and times out on a screen other than a watch face and also if it's on reserve power. It also comes up if the watch is turned off and you press the crown for a few seconds.

This isn't the case here.

Reactions: jz0309

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal
maybe read the actual post and replies first?

Reactions: akash.nu

Mikeske

macrumors 6502
Jan 14, 2012
Washington
I have had that happen on both my wife's watch a 41 MM series 8 GPS and my 45 MM series 8 GPS. Yes it has been doing since the last update. Shutting it off and turning it on did not resolve it on either watch. Just some weird little bug is all I can figure out.

Reactions: akash.nu
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.