Weird black circle beside wifi symbol on mac mini

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by lexi934, Oct 11, 2016.

1. lexi934 macrumors newbie

blackcircle.jpg

I attached a picture of it.

I have never seen this before and google turned up nothing? Does anyone have any idea what this is?

It went away when I restarted my computer but I'm slightly concerned.

Thanks!

2. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

Any icon in the toolbar should show a menu if you click on it.
    That menu will help you determine what the icon represents.
    Next time you see it, click on it to see what happens.

3. lexi934 thread starter macrumors newbie

I clicked it when it appeared and it just gave me a long blank shape (like to the wifi symbol but there was nothing there). It went all they way to the dock.

4. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

Hmmm
    Probably just a setting from some software that you have installed.
    Hold Option, then click next time you see it.
    Try simply clicking on that area that appears to be blank, watch for something to happen.
    You might run the good utility "EtreCheck". You can post the report from that here, and someone might recognize an unusual startup app, or other.

You also might remove that icon by holding the Command key, then drag the icon off the menubar.
    (Other than being a mysterious "something", I don't think it's anything that you need to worry about.)

5. grcar Suspended

grcar

No picture attached! Coincidence?

6. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

The "picture" is just part of a screenshot, showing the menubar, and nothing else.
    Do you not see it in the OP?
    You can also click on the attachment link that appears in the quote in your own post.

7. Analog Kid, Oct 13, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2016

Analog Kid macrumors 601

Analog Kid

Poking around through Google a bit, is it BitTorrent Sync? That one seems to be a black circle with two head to tail arrows around the perimeter.
    --- Post Merged, Oct 13, 2016 ---
    Maybe I'm just paranoid by nature, but I worry about every mysterious something... I wouldn't get rid of it until I figure out what it's connected to. Especially when it's shaped like a record button.

It's a menu bar item that's connected to some application or preference pane. I don't recognize it though.

8. nollimac macrumors regular

nollimac

I am sure it's an app he forgot he installed and most likely don't use often.

9. Snappers macrumors member

The symbol is just letting you know that your webcam is on in stealth mode. Nothing to worry about. J/k

Honestly, I don't know what that icon is. It could be any infinite number of apps that you installed but forgot about. I spent about 10 minutes searching google images for it, but nothing came up. Definitely a mystery. If it shows up again, you might be able to narrow it down if you go to Activity Monitor and under CPU tab, you *might* see that icon which would tell you what process it belongs to. Not all menu bar items are associated with active processes though.

10. rworne macrumors 6502

Icon that mysteriously appeared? Is it this:

[​IMG]

If not, it could be an app that is broken. This app will pop up the circle icon only if you hit the secret key combination. It recently had an update for Sierra, so the older version may be broken.

11. lexi934, Nov 1, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2016

lexi934 thread starter macrumors newbie

I have not downloaded any apps other than word/powerpoint/excel from a cd.

Thanks for the help/suggestions everyone, though!

It hasn't shown up again so I'm not really sure what it could of been.

If it does show up I will try that, thanks. :)
    --- Post Merged, Nov 1, 2016 ---
    I attached a picture in the post. If I did it wrong, I'm sorry.

I can attached the full size picture as well?

[​IMG]

12. rivettmj macrumors member

I wonder if its Siri? On my MacBookPro's I see a round icon thats about that size (and spawns a rectangle shaped window when clicked) not sure why it would be colorless.

You could also watch activity monitor (sorted by % CPU) and click frantically on the dot ... might be able to generate a couple of percent of CPU usage which would make the process owner obvious.

QUOTE="lexi934, post: 23707614, member: 1052231"]I clicked it when it appeared and it just gave me a long blank shape (like to the wifi symbol but there was nothing there). It went all they way to the dock.[/QUOTE]