Weird Blue / White finder stripe error

Discussion in 'macOS' started by johny5, Jul 10, 2009.

1. johny5 macrumors 6502a

johny5

I noticed that I have blue/white stripes in the finder window on my macbook but when I came to calibrate my 24" ACD on my MacPro these blue/white stripes arent there!?

The strange thing is that if I move a window over the finder window, where the shadow of the window above would be cast, I get the blue/white stripes.

The monitor calibrated fine and it was like this before calibration but I thought I should plug in a second monitor to see if it was like it on that one. When I plugged the second monitor in, this was fine but then I looked at the ACD display and it had fixed the fault!? I had a full compliment of blue/white stripes.

Thought nothing of it and rebooted after the safari update and here we are again, same fault is back.
    I am sure this is a software issue and have attached a screen shot.
    Another strange thing, when I was making the screenshot with shift+cmd+4, underneath the whole shadow cast from the selection I saw the blue/white stripes (it took a s shot of the plain background though).

Anyone any ideas? its annoying :(

Attached Files:

2. johny5 thread starter macrumors 6502a

johny5

To recap:

Reboot Mac = no stripes
    unplug display and plug it back in = gives me stripes back

maybe there is a prefs file i could delete? doesn't explain why when I disconnect and reconnect the display it works?

omg, now the plot thickens!!!

I just noticed (after I have unplugged the display and plugged it back in to get stripes) that I can now see stripes on the jpg's I attached above!
    So, now I am thinking there is an issue with the display itself maybe? otherwise why would I not see the lighter blue part of the stripe?
    I have looked extremely closely and it is a solid white background apart from where the shadow drops from above. I will attached a photshoped image of what I see in a sec.

3. johny5 thread starter macrumors 6502a

johny5

When the fault is apparent this is what I see.
    Both realtime and when viewing the screenshot files.

beats me!

Attached Files:

4. mrchinchilla macrumors 6502

mrchinchilla

5. johny5 thread starter macrumors 6502a

johny5

Thanks for the info on Onyx, but I actually want the blue and white stripes.

I installed onyx thinking that maybe this would reset something to do with the display but it didnt.
    I am still stuck with this fault.
    I think I may have to do a full reinstall which is a shame but then again I will just wait for Snow Leopard before I do that.

6. sebastian23 macrumors newbie

Decrease the contrast

Had the same problem, it disappeared after decreasing the display contrast in System Preferences

HTH

7. yoyo5280 macrumors 68000

yoyo5280

Hmmm that is really weird... Sorta of cool, but annoying in the long term I can imagine... I don't want you can do but do a archive and install and hope for the best.

-Omi

8. johny5 thread starter macrumors 6502a

johny5

BINGO! I think you got it :p
    I just went into the contrast settings and it wasnt all the way back at "normal".
    Its weird though that for me to get the display to "work" I unplugged the display and then plugged it back in?
    Heh, I just tried it again, I moved the contrast to the right until the white/blue bars turned into just white. Then I unplugged the display and plugged it back in and it reset the colours back to blue and white.
    Anyway, thanks for pointing this out! I can only imagine that I accidentally pressed those key combo's that change the contrast :)