Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

steve knight

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
I think this started with Yosemite on my mac mini 2011. the speaker balance keeps going over to the right. at first I thought my speakers were bad and I finally checked and found the slider over to the right. fixed it and sometimes weeks or days go by and it changes again. so is it a bug or is there a hot key I am accidentally hitting?

Celerondon

macrumors 6502a
Oct 17, 2013
Southern Cal
Did You Install Yosemite During a Twilight Zone Marathon?

Do an Internet search for "OS X speaker balance" and be amazed Steve! I was. Your balance issue appears to be a known bug that has persisted through plenty of OS X updates and a CPU family change as well. Plenty of the search hits lead back to these Macrumors forums, but check the dates, this problem is not new.

Some folks suggested that a utility named "Balanced" might help but I won't. I have never used the software and do not know a reliable source for it.

Apple actually said this about the problem: http://support.apple.com/kb/TA22305

Please return and post it if you find a real fix. Otherwise you can say hello to Rod Serling for me. ;)

Good Luck!

steve knight

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
My search sucked. Wonder why it took so long to happen. But I was thinking I was hitting a hot key not much a bug

Celerondon

macrumors 6502a
Oct 17, 2013
Southern Cal
Did you see how long this problem has been around? If the Internet was old enough, we could probably find complaints about some Motorola powered 68000 series Macs.

Apples explanation on that page I found was odd. They said "In some cases the audio balance may unexpectedly drift towards the left or right channel. This can happen if you rapidly press the volume up or down keys while the computer's microprocessor is under heavy load."

Okay...

That particular problem didn't last for more than ten years, did it?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.