Weird Boot Camp Partition Problem

Discussion in 'macOS' started by yanathin, May 15, 2009.

1. yanathin macrumors member

I just tried using the boot camp assistant to partition my drive to allow 10GB for Windows. When I clicked the button to start partitioning, it got stuck there for a long time. Eventually I read in forums that this happens sometimes, and the best thing to do is to quit Boot Camp and try it again.

Well, now I have a problem. The 10GB I tried to partition is now completely missing, and the numbers in Disk Utility simply don't add up. Here's what it says:

Capacity: 232.6 GB
    Available: 16.1 GB
    Used 205.8 GB

This doesn't make sense to me at all. I tried verifying and repairing the disk, and it says everything appears to be okay. I open up boot camp assistant and it acts like I'm starting from scratch, just with 10GB less to work with. Where did these 10GB go that I tried to partition?? It's driving me nuts...

2. Biornus macrumors newbie

I have the exact same problem.
    And neither Gparted or the Mac Installation Disc shows the remaining space, my harddisc has simply shrunk from 260 gbs to 230.

Help please. :(

Edit: I tried to repair the hd from the osx installation disc, it couldn't find any errors.

3. JDee macrumors 6502a

While in Windows - go into c:/Windows and right click 'winsxs' without the 's.

Tell me what the size of that file is.

4. Biornus macrumors newbie

I am unable to boot Windows. Bootcamp doesn't recognize it and if I try through refit it gives errors. The installation is corrupted.

When I used gparted, it only saw a 200 mb fat32 partition which I then deleted. I have shrunk my OSX partition and installed Windows 7, but I am still missing 30 gb from my old XP install.

5. SHIFTLife macrumors 6502

If you open Disk Utility (Hard Drive > Applications > Utilities), and click on the hard drive in the left pane of the window, do you see the previously created boot camp partition there? If so, delete it in Disk Utility, then resize either your Mac or Windows partition to fill that space.