Weird bright spot

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MarcBook, Aug 13, 2008.

1. MarcBook macrumors 6502a

MarcBook

Okay, this isn't really a problem, but more of a peculiarity. My MacBook Pro's LCD has a strange bright spot which appears to be a defect in the reflective layer. It's very small (about 2-3 pixels wide and in a streak, not a circle). Before anyone suggests it, I'm 100% sure it's not a mark on the screen, stuck/dead pixels etc.

It just looks like a little area where the reflective layer is reflecting a little too much of the LED backlight. I'd just like to know if anyone else has noticed one or two of these on their screens. My old MacBook Pro (early Core Duo) had the dark blotches, so the opposite of the newer one's.

I just want to make sure it won't turn out to be LCD leakage or something horrid like that! :eek:

The streak is on the far left of the screen near the edge, and I only noticed it the other day. It may have been there the entire 8 months I've had the Mac. :eek:

2. styxfan macrumors member

OMG

I just sent my computer in for the EXACT SAME THING. I just noticed it about a month ago. There's no way it's a scuff. It's on the very right edge if the screen, about halfway up. It doesn't show up on a black screen but shows up on everything else. I'll let you know what Apple tells me.

I'm not the only one!!!!

3. MarcBook thread starter macrumors 6502a

MarcBook

Hmm...

Thanks for your reply! Yes, I'd love to hear what they say. If you succeed in getting a replacement screen I might try the same. To be honest, I doubt they'll change it for such a minor flaw, but it's still well within warranty.

Good luck with yours! ;)

4. dchen720 macrumors member

u guys should post some screen shot pictures,
    so we know what u guys are talking about,, and the rest of us can check and see if we have the same problem too.

5. iGotMac macrumors member

6. MarcBook thread starter macrumors 6502a

MarcBook

Ahh...

Yes, that does appear to be the same sort of thing. Mine, however, is quite a bit smaller. I'm talking about a millimetre or less across, so barely noticeable unless you go looking around the panel with a plain white or pale background being shown.

I really don't think it's worth trying to get a replacement LCD, in my case anyway. If it gets worse I'll act, but for now it's just a very slightly irritating spot. It's not distracting. It's just a shame I don't have a perfectly perfect LCD! :p

7. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Hmmm.. LED backlights are easier to refkect and make it even than CCFL backlights. Just take it in, they might replace it.

8. styxfan macrumors member

9. Shabbis macrumors regular

I have the exact same issue but I can only see it when the screen is mostly white and at a certain angle, so I am not going to send it in at this point.

10. paola105 macrumors 6502

paola105

I have the same problem.
    It's on the right side of the screen kind of in the middle, very small. It just appeared out of nowhere.
    Maybe I can use it as an excuse get the screen replaced because I have a stuck pixel.. :mad:

11. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

i know of a friend with the same problem.

it almost looks like there's an LED in the middle of the screen.. new LCD is needed.

12. styxfan macrumors member

WOW, I didn't know there were so many people with this problem. I sent the computer to Apple yesterday, they got it today, and it's already "fixed" I'll get it back tomorrow or Monday.

I'll let you know what Apple did for the display. I also complained about backlight bleeding along the bottom edge. I had grown accustomed to that over the past year, but the bright spot was just too much. I made a picture in Paintbrush for the background. The bottom 3rd was black to show the backlight bleeding and the top was white. I made red lines point to the issue so they would be spotted immediately. Let's hope Apple replaced it with a new LCD with no lit pixels. If it has lit pixels, it's going right back. I can't stand those things.

Why doesn't Apple have a no lit/stuck pixel guarantee like Acer (CHEAP) and Vizio (for HDTV's) I'd pay a premium for that guarantee.

13. iGotMac macrumors member

Mine was at the depot on Thursday, and showed ready to ship that afternoon, however it does not look like it was shipped.

I'll post back with details when I receive it back...

:cool:

14. Dizzee macrumors member

i have the same thing on my MBP, its been there for a while, bothers me, but not enough to have to part with my laptop...
    so i figure ill just wait it out until it gets worst, or until my graphics card fails eventually?

there are two of these spots, both on the left edge. one just about half way up the screen, and the other is about a 1/3rd up the screen. and its exactly how everyone is describing it.

15. iGotMac macrumors member

Hi,

I received my MBP back today. The repair status on Apple's website did not show the tracking number until the package was out for delivery. So, I had no idea it was coming back today, but nonetheless it was a good surprise.

According to the service details form, the LCD was replaced (Samsung). For some reason, this screen looks more vivid than the last. I may have had a different type of LCD prior (not a Samsung).

I'm very pleased with the fast turn-around time, as I did not expect to have it until Monday. For those of you who have a similar problem, keep us updated on this thread.

Have a great weekend all!

:cool:

16. MarcBook thread starter macrumors 6502a

MarcBook

Nice

I'm glad your screen was replace, iGotMac. :)

Since I doubt my occurrence of this anomaly is worthy of a free replacement LCD, does anyone know how much Apple charge for new 15.4" screens (obviously the LED versions)? Preferably in British £s, but I do have the currency converter poised to go in Dashboard. :p

Although it doesn't bother me most of the time, I am the perfectionist-type.

17. MarcBook thread starter macrumors 6502a

MarcBook

Well...

I don't know if anyone's still following this thread or not, but I handed my MacBook Pro into the local Authorised Reseller here in Singapore (I'm on holiday from the UK). They've recognised the problem and written on the service report "WHITE PATCHES AT THE LEFT SIDE OF THE LCD. (not visible on dark color)" and they've said they'll replace the LCD completely. They also said it would take up to around 5 days or more depending on the part stock. Hopefully it'll come before then because I'm flying back to England on Sunday. In that case I'd have to bring it to the Apple store back home.

If I were to show the UK store the report given to me here, hopefully they'd be willing to replace the LCD too.

I had to stress that the problem's not stuck pixels, and after that the girl went into the shop to inspect it closely, later coming out to agree that it's a non-pixel related defect, hence the replacement LCD. Anyone with a similar problem should definitely give it a shot at your local store/reseller. :)