Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jont5

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 8, 2005
Hope this is the right place to post this.

I have a strange problem with my broadband connection. It was fine until a few days back. But since then I can only seem to access a couple of sites (two academic UK web sites) - either using Safari, Internet Explorer and have tried 3 different computers (one at a time, all Macs, running OSX 10.3, Voyager 105 USB adsl). All the common sites such as google, bbc you name it just fail flash up the name in the URL box and then fail to load, and sit there with an empty browser screen. Weirdly, Mail (Eudora or OSX Mail) work fine as does an online game but not Apples Software Update- it is as if some types of traffic are restricted. The only site I seem to be able to access seems to be http://www.shef.ac.uk pages (I have used a vpn connection with them, but it is not active now). They load rapidly and I can go down many levels (so it isn't that they're just cached as clearing cache does not alter the rate of download). It is as if we've been limited to just a few specified webs sites. Resetting the browser, emptying cache and even reinstalling the Voyager 105 software does not help. The Voyager monitoring software and Apples Internet Connection software both tell me that the ADSL Voyager is working fine.

If I switch back to a dial-up using the same computers one at a time everything works fine.

Any ideas or am I just going mad???

Thanks for your help..

Applespider

macrumors G4
Might be a DNS problem. See if you can find out what your DNS server is and enter it manually.

To be honest though, if I were you, I'd not waste any more time troubleshooting it, unplug it and stick in a cupboard. Then go out and get a basic ethernet ADSL modem/router which you can pick up for under £30 in shops and well under £20 in the shop. That's what I did after my Voyager started causing random kernel panics, refusing to reconnect after the Mac had been asleep etc. The ethernet route means no more drivers that can stop working after system updates and a truly 'always on' connection.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.