weird camcorder tape transfer issue

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Keebler, Dec 10, 2011.

1. Keebler macrumors 68030

Hi folks,

I've come across something I haven't seen before in transferring hi8 camcorder tape to digital.

If anyone has any suggestions, it would be hugely appreciated:

There are 3 different tapes (not in the same order, different brands) which are doing the following:

they play fine for 1/3 to 1/2 of the tape then the tape becomes jumpy. The tape doesn't seem to catch at all. It even stops my player (Sony GV-D200). The tape is not broken, it's not folded, it's not trying to catch in the inside - it seriously looks perfect. One tape plays fine, screws up for a long period of time, then plays fine again.

I have 2 D200's so I naturally tried the other one and it exhibits the same behaviour at the exact same spots in the footage.

My D200's were just cleaned so I don't think it's their fault.

I have 16 tapes from this client and tapes 4, 5 and 13 are doing this. All other tapes are fine. They were recorded chronologically so I think that rules out their camcorder causing the issue upon recording b/c one would think more or all of the tapes would be screwed up. The tapes look well taken care of.

I don't even think these tapes were re-used either. I thought maybe that was the case, but the client says he never recorded onto VHS and then re-used the tapes.

Cheers,
    Keebler

2. Paratel macrumors 6502

Paratel

Try repacking the tapes. which means to fast forward all the way to the end and then rewind.

3. Keebler thread starter macrumors 68030

Thanks. I ended up trying that and they still wouldn't play. The client had been having issues with their camcorder. The playback issues refreshed their memory of that time.

It's too bad when I know they've lost memories they were trying to keep.

Thanks again.
    Keebler

4. Paratel macrumors 6502

Paratel

Yes too bad. Hopefully they have since upgraded to MiniDV or SDHD card.

5. cgbier macrumors 6502a

Slam the tapes with the flat side onto a table (or something) a couple of times.