WEIRD: Changes I make to default programs revert whenever I restart.

Discussion in 'macOS' started by jdaniel, Dec 25, 2010.

1. jdaniel macrumors 65816

I make movist my default player by get info change all.. never had issue before.. i recently reinstalled my os and now whenever I restart it reverts back to Quicktime... I am not quite sure what is going on.

2. jdaniel thread starter macrumors 65816

so i suspected that this was to to permissions and I tried to edit permissions on my main partition and all hell broke loose and it was back to reformat that partition and reinstalling again before it would work... this is giving me a headache... I cant touch the permissions if not i am gonna be screwed

3. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Sounds like something's gone wonky with a preference file (.plist). Fortunately, this issue is really easy to fix, once you've found the offending file. Move it elsewhere, then:
    • If the program that uses it is an Apple system service (Finder, Dock, etc.), log out and back in
    • Else, quit and relaunch the program in question

4. jdaniel thread starter macrumors 65816

ok thanks

5. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

Are you making it the default for all relevant file types?

This is a LaunchServices issue if isn't working correctly. Not permissions. It is virtually never permissions.

6. jdaniel thread starter macrumors 65816

i wiped the whole bloody thing and started from scratch works much better now even before all this nonsense started lol