Weird Characters in Mail

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by tech324, Apr 25, 2011.

1. tech324 macrumors 6502

I have Mac OS 10.6.7 and in my mail program certain emails show up with weird characters. They look like squares with A's in them. Its not in every email. The email renders fine on my ipod touch. Anyone else experience this?

2. Dr Kevorkian94 macrumors 68020

usually it means it a smily like :D but animated like it is on this site not in just letters and characters. Mail wont render it so it comes up as a square, but on an iphone it should work, t does with mine at least.

3. tech324 thread starter macrumors 6502

I don't think its an animated character. Some of my emails have the squares with As taking up the whole email. I get emails from like Ebay and the whole message is all squares with As in them. I can even tell when it gets to a link because the squares change to blue.

4. Knoodles macrumors 6502

Knoodles

Most likely your fonts are mucked up. Open Font Book in your Applications folder. Highlight all fonts on the right side. From the File Menu select Validate fonts. After validation and deletion/deactivation of problem fonts, go to the Edit Menu and select Resolve Duplicates.

5. tech324 thread starter macrumors 6502

Knoodles: THANK YOU!!!! That seemed to work.

6. Knoodles macrumors 6502

Knoodles

Glad to hear that! To your knowledge did you install any new fonts recently that would have caused this to just start happening? Did the validation or resolve duplicates find any baddies?