Weird characters in Safari since iOS update

Discussion in 'OS X El Capitan (10.11)' started by shonamelissa, Oct 3, 2015.

  1. shonamelissa macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Mar 25, 2009
    #1
    Hey there,

    I just updated to El Capital yesterday and now some text in Safari is displaying as characters. It happens on every website but I have attached a screenshot from Facebook as an example. Only happening in Safari since the upgrade.

    Anyone else seeing the same? :)

    Shona
     

    Attached Files:

  2. shonamelissa thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Mar 25, 2009
  3. charlenee macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Apr 10, 2014
    #3
    I have the exact same issue on my computer. Started after updating to OS X El Capitan. No updates solved the issue. I see this problem on some other apps as well, not just Safari. Thought it was just me until I finally saw this post!
     
  4. shonamelissa thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Mar 25, 2009
    #4
    Glad to hear I'm not the only one! Now I wish someone had a solution ...
    I'm thinking perhaps it's one of our system fonts? But I'm not really sure what to do with that assumption. Would rather wait and see if there's a more solid answer.
     
  5. charlenee macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Apr 10, 2014
    #5
    While searching for a solution I found this thread (totally different issue but somehow similar) and tried the suggested fix. It appears to have worked on my end: https://discussions.apple.com/message/24097328#24097328 Hope it works with you too. Please try it and share the outcome.
     
  6. shonamelissa thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Mar 25, 2009
    #6
    Thanks Charlenee. I'm a graphic designer so I have a LOT of custom fonts and thought this might be the issues but since they weren't a problem with any of the other OS I wonder why they have to be now.
    Anyway, I made a backup of them and used FontBook to restore both the system folder and user folder back to default fonts and also cleared the caches. This has WORKED. :)
    Slowly adding my own custom fonts back and checking for issues as I go. It'll be a slow journey but at least I can read text in Safari now!

    Thanks you. :)
     

Share This Page