weird charging issue

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by DefaultID, Jun 25, 2011.

1. DefaultID macrumors newbie

Hey everyone. When I was charging my macbook pro, it got to 90% then jumped up to 100%, and the light on the charger was green. But when I unplugged it, it went back down to 90%. My macbook is only a little under a year old, is this something I should be concerned about? Is there any fix to it? Thanks.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Make sure your battery is properly calibrated, so your readings are accurate. This should answer most, if not all, of your battery questions:

3. DefaultID thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the quick response. I've read that thread. Something like this has happened to me before, where it said it was fully charged at only 99%, but it's never jumped from 90 to 100. I've also recalibrated the battery not too long ago (maybe a week or two ago). Should I recalibrate the battery again? I've read that it's only necessary to do it about once a month.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Usually once every month or two is fine. If it doesn't do it again, I wouldn't worry about it. If it does, try resetting the SMC.

5. DefaultID thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your help. I'll try running down the battery, charging it back up again, and then hoping it won't jump again. If it does jump again, you'll most definitely be hearing from me again :p

6. DefaultID, Jun 26, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2011

DefaultID thread starter macrumors newbie

So I ran down the battery until it told me to plug it in. I plugged it in, charged it up, and it again jumped from 90 to 100. Once I unplugged it and used it for a bit, instead of dropping to 99, it went right back to 90. Any tips on what I should do to make this stop?

So I charged the battery to full (the light was green), and while I left it charged at full (I was going to try and recalibrate the battery), I watched TV. When my show was over, I noticed the light was orange. Now that I look in the upper right hand corner, it shows 99%. Is this normal?

7. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

I frequently see calibrating (or recalibrating) your battery being recommended here on MacRumors, but this Applie doc (Apple Portables: Calibrating your computer's battery for best performance) contradicts that advice for those of us with built-in batteries. I imagine that this will be updated to include the 2011 models as well.

Additional Information

Some portable computers are pre-calibrated and do not require the calibration procedure outlined in this article. These computers use batteries that should be replaced only by an Apple Authorized Service Provider.

MacBook

• MacBook (13-inch, Mid 2010)
    • MacBook (13-inch, Late 2009)

MacBook Air

• MacBook Air (Mid 2009)
    • MacBook Air (Late 2008)
    • MacBook Air (Original)

MacBook Pro

• MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2010)
    • MacBook Pro (15-inch, Mid 2010)
    • MacBook Pro (17-inch, Mid 2010)
    • MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2009)
    • MacBook Pro (15-inch, Mid 2009)
    • MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2.53GHz, Mid 2009)
    • MacBook Pro (17-inch, Mid 2009)
    • MacBook Pro (17-inch, Early 2009)

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

That article doesn't say you should never calibrate such batteries, and doing so certainly can't hurt, especially if you're having reading accuracy issues. Calibration isn't a one-time event and its effects are not permanent. If they were, even on other models, Apple would have said you only need to calibrate once, not once every month or two. While you don't need to calibrate pre-calibrated models when you first receive them, that doesn't mean you should never calibrate them, especially if you're having problems with battery reading accuracy. If you call AppleCare with battery issues, one of the first questions they're likely to ask is, "have you properly calibrated your battery?"

9. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

I'm not trying to be contrary here, but that Apple doc does state:

Some portable computers are pre-calibrated and do not require the calibration procedure outlined in this article. These computers use batteries that should be replaced only by an Apple Authorized Service Provider.

Bold text is mine not Apple's. Also that battery calibration doc is for lithium-ion batteries, not the lithium-polymer batteries that are used in the notebooks with the built-in batteries. I searched Apple's site but couldn't find one that is specific to the lithium-polymer batteries. :confused:

10. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It doesn't say they will never require calibration, or that you should never calibrate such batteries. Because they're pre-calibrated doesn't imply they're permanently calibrated. Calibration is appropriate if you suspect your readings are inaccurate.
    All Apple batteries are lithium-polymer, even the older removable batteries. Calibration applies to all of them.

As an example:
    MacBook (13-inch, Late 2006) - Technical Specifications

11. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

I don't really have anything else I can add to what I've already said, except that Apple seems to be contradicting themselves and as I've only had my MacBook Pro for a little over a week (without any prior notebook ownership) I don't have the experience to know one way or the other. Sorry I pointed out something that apparently doesn't mean what it says or something...I'm too confused by it to know what they're saying. :confused:

12. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It's simple. If you prefer not to calibrate, don't. However, it's appropriate for the OP, since they're obviously having issues that may have to do with the accuracy of their battery readings.