Weird charging problem (4th gen iPod Touch)

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by j.dstasio, Jul 2, 2012.

1. j.dstasio macrumors 6502

j.dstasio

I have a 4th gen iPod touch with an odd charging problem. When the battery is completely dead (black screen) I can plug the iPod in with a USB cable to my MacBook air or a wall charger and it will indicate that it's charging. After a few minutes it will power on, but as soon as it boots it stops charging. iTunes does not recognize that it's plugged in.

Any ideas?

2. aarond12 macrumors 65816

aarond12

Can you try another cable? I'm wondering if the cable has gone bad (broken wire; fried resistor) and, once the iPod is charged, it doesn't "detect" a valid cable. The iPod cable is not just wires; it has some resistors inside to let the device know what kind of cable is attached.

3. j.dstasio thread starter macrumors 6502

j.dstasio

I tried several cables and chargers (both Apple OE and third party). It didn't make a difference. I'll probably make an appointment to have it looked at. it is under warranty.

I just thought it was odd that it seemed to charge normally until it booted and then nothing.

4. danielceleste macrumors regular

I've had the exact same problem with my iPad 2. I got it replaced at an Apple store, but here's what's wrong:

For an unknown reason, the dock connector is disabled when booted into iOS. Due to this, you cannot charge or sync.

if you desperately need to charge, then:

1. Connect charger and boot into iOS
    2. Hold down the sleep/wake button and "slide to power off"

Although there is a black screen and the device appears to be off, it will still charge. It just takes about twice as long.

5. usbfashion macrumors newbie

At Promolocker.com, customers can find essentially the most up-to-date promotional USB drives that will be customized as being similar to their requirements. These custom USB drives can be found in to select colors and fashoins until this customers could decide among. By ordering the [http://www.webousb.com/ USB Flash Disk] large packages, customers conserve money and arrange the promotional items for just about any large population group. This provider follows high standards of client satisfaction and ships the many products within one day of order placement. The professional back-up and support staff about the company helps customers to locate the best products for needs along with. Learn more by appraising www.meridianstars.com.

6. Xandros macrumors regular

Try holding the power button and home button down at the same time while it's booted until it appears to switch off, then try to charge it again. That's how I fixed mine when I had exactly the same problem (it would turn on, display the battery charging icon except the icon was red with a dodgy looking symbol on it and it wouldn't let me use the iPod, after I reset it and plugged it back in it switched itself on like normal and began charging as normal too as well as let me use it).