Weird click whenever I move my macbook pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by phatboy, Mar 24, 2009.

1. phatboy macrumors member

Not sure why but whenever i make a sudden movement with my new unibody macbook pro there is a weird click. It only happens once but happens everytime i pick it up to move it around.

any ideas?
    it seems to be coming from the right hand side in the middle - i think it might be the HDD :/ certainly sounds like it is.

2. RKpro macrumors 6502

sudden motion sensor is preparing your hard drive for impact, perfectly normal.

3. jeremybuff macrumors regular

Yup, as said above, it's the sudden motion sensor. Even a very slight movement will set it off. It's normal and a very good thing.

4. phatboy thread starter macrumors member

how come i never heard the noise on my old SR macbook pro? And im glad its not me damaging my hard drive everytime I move!

5. creon macrumors 6502

Wow, I never knew my new mac had a motion sensor...

this thing is amazing...::eek:

6. RKpro macrumors 6502

Yeah it blew my mind as well at first. You can also put it to other uses:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=466064
    (although I wouldn't recommend SmackBook)

7. bossxii macrumors 68000

I hear the "clicking" your talking about, and her is how I get it to repeat:

Open the MBP so the screen is 90 degrees (=/-) open and put the laptop on your bed, or any soft/non uniform surface. Now use one finger/thumb under each of the front corners and lift up, only takes an inch or two, and rock it back and forth. To me it's the bottom cover flexing and popping, not the HDD as the sound comes from different locations. Right, left, front, back etc.. or so it seems anyhow..

I guess I should pay closer attention if it is coming from where the HDD is located :)

After looking for a teardown, if I'm looking at it correctly the HDD is under the left side wrist area? The clicking I am hearing more often then not is very clearly on the right side.

Ok so the HDD is likely what's going on. I close the lid and the computer sleeps, which likely locks down the HDD... and I no longer have the ticking no matter what I do lol. Sheesh, sometimes the obvoius is right there, oh well happy it's a "suppose to hear clicking" vs a "what the hell is that?" lol

8. hohohong macrumors 6502

The constant clicking noise is going even when i put on a level table??

It's getting annoying,.... what should i do?

9. kprescod macrumors newbie

Blown Away!!

well well well, I've always wondered why that happened never thought about researching it until now :D. So I'm in my school's library, and I positioned my macbook pro and there goes the click! Since its my second week of having my pro, I wanted to know what the heck was happening.....but you guys answered my question. Thanks :D Motion sensor rocks!

If it were a PC most of us wouldn't give a damn about if it clicked or not, but since the price on this item is a bit pricey we tend to seek out the most tiny and simple things...funny!!