Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nickandre21

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 21, 2012
well its been almost 9 days since i got my top of the line 15 retina. The first 1 was changed at store due to dents and second one 3 days later due to a failed hardware test.
This one has been good but since this morning I have been noticing some weird clicks from the bottom case around the area where theres printed stuff right upto the region where the battery connector is on the logic board and between S-L keys only. When back home i like to relax on my bed with the lappy on my chest and carry out my mails and a bit of podcasts, thats when i noticed it. I will post up a video in a few minutes.
Out here in India its pretty hard to get a replacement in 14 days unless they diagnose it as a hardware fault or else they repair or replace parts.

cbs20

macrumors member
Feb 26, 2013
Do you hear the sound when you push on the bottom case or is this a sound being made when comp is just sitting there and you aren't touching it?

vpro

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2012
Why?

Why are people using these gadgets on their chest or anywhere else on their body? Why?

Where did you get these, from a bargain bin, you've had three returns already, what, dents???? Wow. To stay with the latest and greatest trend is not what it is cut out to be for some.

cbs20

macrumors member
Feb 26, 2013
Why are people using these gadgets on their chest or anywhere else on their body? Why?

Where did you get these, from a bargain bin, you've had three returns already, what, dents???? Wow. To stay with the latest and greatest trend is not what it is cut out to be for some.

It's because ppl think these machines are called laptops and are meant to be used on their lap. However, they are notebook computers and need to be used on a flat solid surface.

nickandre21

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 21, 2012
to answer your questions.

It comes from within the case if its on a table and I just rest my hands on the palm rest the noise comes. Maybe i Noticed it today while i was using it while relaxing on my bed.

Its purchased from an apple premium reseller. We have no apple stores out here and no its not a bargain place I paid $3300 for it(which is the price for it at every other apple reseller)

well laptops are portable and while using the bus or train or car where else can you find a flat solid surface? anyways thats not my question.. The noise is.

Well the first box they opened up(sealed) it had dents on the bottom case.

this is the first time i purchased my macbook from India all my previous macbooks were brought when i was on trips abroad from apple stores(as its cheaper) and never had a single issue on them leaving one.

Last edited:

cbs20

macrumors member
Feb 26, 2013
The bottom cover needs to be removed and attached again. The noise you hear are the brings inside the machine that rest up against the bottom cover. Basically, the screws aren't completely tightened and tightening them would reduce the noise.

vpro

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2012
Oh.

A reseller. You really should return it and consider getting a refurb or saving up to get a brand new machine then because it is not worth the wasted time and effort to try, and get resellers to look at it, or sending it back and forth somewhere to be "fixed", just get your money back and save for a refurb when it shows up on Apple's site or just go ahead and get a brand new machine.

When I travel with my monster 17" MBP I always have to make sure there are flat surfaces to work on, either I go business class because I have work, or I don't ever use it while in locomotion (common sense) I can wait to work, or should I say, work can wait for me, until I find a solid surface to work on my MBP 17".

The clicking sound might be speakers or fan under there where you are describing, something must be loose or wires not soldered properly, could be electrical charges, if so I'd stop using it right away to prevent sparks inside and fires. Be careful.

Good luck to you!!

cbs20

macrumors member
Feb 26, 2013
to answer your questions.

well laptops are portable and while using the bus or train or car where else can you find a flat solid surface? anyways thats not my question.. The noise is.

Sorry to sound rude, but again as I stated earlier this isn't a laptop this is a notebook computer not meant to be used on your lap or bed. It states this directly in your user manual.

vpro

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2012
Agreed.

Sorry to sound rude, but again as I stated earlier this isn't a laptop this is a notebook computer not meant to be used on your lap or bed. It states this directly in your user manual.

Good reminder as these are not cheap MS netbooks, they are close but they are well over priced to be treated like solid plastic netbooks that cost so much less but can handle being on inferior surfaces. But they also don't last more than a year. These new retina netbooks by Apple are very fragile because they are so thin and light, but if you baby them they last at least 1 more year than the cheap net books, think about it.

Best advice, just return it for your full refund and get something from actual Apple site.

Good luck again!

nickandre21

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 21, 2012
thanks for the replies mates.
unfortunately i do not have a pentalobe screw driver so i guess i would need to bring it into the AASP. The clicking noise doesn't come anywhere near the screws and i dont see any play while pressing down near the screws.

Well we do not have an online apple store here, or else i would've taken the maxed out cto with 768gb ssd:( so there is no possibility of a refurb. Same way while in warranty period and if you have multiple issues and they repeat they do not replace it just continue replacing parts. I was however lucky that my last mbp and the only one to visit service had about 4 visits to service, i demanded apple care for a replacement they transferred me to customer relations and they after one failed attempt at repairing are shipping me a replacement from singapore. On the retina while in the 14days period to get it replaced I've had to wait for 3 days to get their approvals and then another day for the store to receive their stocks.

----------

all cool mate, i do baby my gadgets to the extent of not letting anyone even handle it. I do have heavy use as I travel alot and do my work. I have around 25 battery load cycles on it in just 9 days.

Last edited:

kittencounter

macrumors member
Mar 22, 2013
First when I got my machine I sometimes heard that high pitch scratching skitching noise. But after a while it's just gone. Maybe because your machine is relative new

JeffiJers

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2012
U.S.

lmao really?

OP, i believe it is a ground spring. That is what i have been told as All of the computers i picked up in the apple store did it. Never cares enough to open it up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.