Weird clicking noise from plastic hinge 13"?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by thadoggfather, Jun 13, 2010.

1. thadoggfather macrumors 604

thadoggfather

When I use my computer, at random times, I hear a popping noise that sounds like it's coming from the plastic hinge without me moving it.

I think this has happened on other 13" models I've toyed with, but I can't fully remember. Everything else works great and it doesn't happen super often so I think I'm just going to deal but does anyone else know what's up?

I think it might be the heat coming off on the plastic hinge causing a popping noise every once in a while but not sure... computer works great.

Also, it's not the sudden motion sensor clicking for sure. I know what that sounds like.

Thanks guys.

2. fenrrris macrumors newbie

I may or may not be having the exact same problem. I have a two week old Early 2010 model 13" MBP. Intermittently (but it seems only during active use and especially when I'm typing) I get a single high-pitched click/chirp. I haven't had an opportunity yet to test whether or not it's coming from the speakers as it's very intermittent (maybe once every 40 minutes and possibly even less) so I can't overrule it being a faulty speaker or an alert from some third-party software that I don't recognize. Anyone have any suggestions? I recognize the sound of the sudden motion sensor so I'm also sure it's not that. My regular usage third-party apps are Firefox, Adium and YoruFukurou. I need to mute it and play around for an hour or two to test the speakers, but other than that I'm kind of lost for troubleshooting this.

3. Pax macrumors 6502a

The plastic used for that hinge cover is a bit cheapo and, well, plasticky.

Mine will click if I push on it, or sometimes if I change the angle of the display. Rarely it will do it when the computer is working hard, I expect it's just thermal expansion due to the hot exhaust air playing on it.

I doubt that there's a problem.

4. Sace macrumors member

My mid 09 does exactly the same. It gets a bit worse over time - i'm pretty sure that the heat affects that.

5. fenrrris macrumors newbie

Hopefully my problem is in line with this one. I'm having a hard time pinpointing the sound and none of the threads about unexpected MBP sounds seem to describe exactly what I'm hearing. This seems to come the closest as the nearest I can approximate is that the sound is coming from somewhere near the top row of keys. Doesn't sound like it's anything near the optical drive or hard drive. All the same it's more of a high-pitched, metalic chirp than a plastic piece clicking. Guess more research is needed.

6. thadoggfather thread starter macrumors 604

thadoggfather

I've had the whole plethora of problems, a messed up closing mechanism, a lot of scratches, two with dead pixels, a snapping noise every once in a while is ok with me I think. It's just a fault of the plastic not faulty hardware.

7. thadoggfather thread starter macrumors 604

thadoggfather

Update: it's definitely the plastic hinge. If i apply pressure with my fingers, it can make a clicking noise but only on the left side where it is looser. Doesn't seem like loose enough to where I'd be concerned about the hinge falling apart, but enough to make a noise if I push on it.

Tried playing with my mom's unibody macbook (aluminum), doesn't have that problem. I would take it in, but it doesn't seem to do it on a flat surface like a desk. Only when I'm on my bed with it somehow it's not that uncommon for there to be pressure applied to the hinge making this noise.

I wish it didn't have that, but given my other threads of problems, I think i'm going to live with it instead of risking getting the toplid replaced to have more problems like dead pixels (this one, afaik, has none). What are your guys' thoughts, if any? Thanks!

EDIT: i'd also have to remove the Optibay and restore it with Superdrive if I were to take it in... which I'm also hesitant to do.

8. Ann P macrumors 68020

Too much of a hassle really. We have both a 2009 and 2010 13" MBPro model in the household. The hinges on both models make the same noise when pressed on, sometimes randomly. Also occurs when opening/closing the lid. Nothing to worry about, just cheap plastic!

9. thadoggfather thread starter macrumors 604

thadoggfather

I see. thanks. Probably won't bother then, I have OCD but only with electronics. This will be a good way and start to getting over it!