Weird clicking noise?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Huddle, Apr 26, 2012.

1. Huddle macrumors member

I got my brand new 750 GB 15'' Macbook Pro Late 2011 about a month ago, and now it is making a weird clicking noise when I rest my left hand on it and give it a little push down. It is like the sound of a Geiger–Müller tube like a little click. Is this my harddisk failing or what could this potentially be? Perhaps I'm missing something and this is just something simple, but it worries me.

Thanks

2. The-Pro macrumors 65816

Its a component in the middle of the MBP with springs inside. It connects the top case to the bottom case via two spring loaded pins. I think its for grounding purposes. Look at this link: http://www.6ixpassions.com/post/1095520847/fix-the-ticking-clicking-sound-in-your-macbook-pro
    Another link said you can just use a strip of wire tape (that conducts) and place it where the two pins would touch the bottom case. This stops the noise but doesn't affect the functionality.

I think thats what it is in your case. To make sure it is not your HDD, turn of your MBP and see if the clicking persists.

3. Huddle thread starter macrumors member

Thanks a lot

4. The-Pro macrumors 65816

My Pleasure