Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

harris36

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 29, 2009
I have a new 2.0ghz, 4gb ram, 320gb hard drive Macbook and it makes weird clicking noises from time to time. Is it just the machine loading or is there something else wrong with it?

This clicking is very annoying and when I am typing up reports and schoolwork it sometimes makes it hard to concentrate allthough very quiet.

Thanks

harris36

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 29, 2009
Nope. I did some research and it turns out my hard drive is going to die? I hope this is not the case because I spent a massive amount of money on it and I don't want to go through the hassle of waiting for a new one. It isnt even a month old. Does anyone else know what the sound could be?

H$R

macrumors 6502
Apr 1, 2008
Switzerland
I would check if the HD really is dying or not. Open disk utility, click on your drive and all the way down you should see "S.M.A.R.T.-Status: Verified" .Then it should be ok and not dying. Otherwise back up your data as soon as possible (if you don't do regulary backups already)

There are also normal reasons for a drive to make clicking noises. I don't know how the stock harddrives sound, because I upgraded mine after a week and mine's really calm.

Are you sure the sound if coming from the drive? Not saying your wrong, but other people have strange bleeping/clicking sounds from the speakers (left side near the power connector as I remember. I had that once didn't know what it was, didn't find it out, but I think 10.5.6 or what fixed it for me. (after 10.5.5 introduced it as far as I remember in my case.)

Ninja Guidan

macrumors regular
Sep 30, 2005
Nope. I did some research and it turns out my hard drive is going to die? I hope this is not the case because I spent a massive amount of money on it and I don't want to go through the hassle of waiting for a new one. It isnt even a month old. Does anyone else know what the sound could be?

Dude...back up your stuff and get it checked out. Sounds like the hard drive. You may not want to go through the hassle of waiting for a new one, but it couldn't be worse than having to wait for a new one and lose all your data.

harris36

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 29, 2009
It's definatly coming from the bottom right hand corner. I only have about 4 documents on it as of now and they are backed up on a small flash drive. The S.M.A.R.T status says that it is verified but who knows. The next time I am in Halifax I'll bring it in to Maceast from where I bought and they said they would take a look at it for me.

Thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.