Weird computer behavior all of a sudden ..

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Khryz, Feb 15, 2009.

1. Khryz macrumors 6502a

Straight off the bat I do want to say that I do tend to DL songs and videos via torrents with no problems, but 2 days ago I downloaded an Apple program off a torrent as well and it wasn't iWork or Photoshop.

Okay, so during that day everything was fine. Yesterday, I try to export video from my EyeTV solftware that I captured from my PS3 using the Hauppauge HD-PVR which was fine. I then tried to export the same video to H.264 with no re-encoding and the exported final copy was corrupt - won't play in QT or VLC .. audio is not in sync, and the program shuts down.

Never did that before so I can't compare. Today, I try and export the same video straight to iMovie HD like I have been for weeks and now those video files are skipping every 10 seconds. The same thing happens if I export to HDV 720P or straight to Mpeg-4. I've been doing this for a while and just today this started happening.

THEN .. I go on YouTube and when I go to watch a video it says, "Hello, You might not have the latest flash player installed, click here, etc etc" I was just watching YouTube videos yesterday! So I installed the flash player, did some Repair Disc Permissions, deleted the torrent app that I downloaded Friday, restarted -- and it's still the same.

Does this sound like a virus?

2. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

It doesn't sound like a virus to me at all. What program did you torrent recently?

3. Khryz thread starter macrumors 6502a

4. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

iLife, iWork and Photoshop are all known to carry OS X trojans. Anyway I have no sympathy for thieves.

5. Khryz thread starter macrumors 6502a

No doubt Tuff.

Anyway, so if it's not a virus .. does this behavior sound like anything? Why would YouTube suddenly require me to download the flash player again?

6. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

It's probably one of those 24 hour virus' since it's been that long since the last, Do I have a virus? thread was started. :rolleyes:

7. lostngone macrumors 65816

lostngone

Well I hope this is a learning experience for you...

First thing first... You CAN NOT have a Virus(well you could be the first I guess).
    You could have a installed a Trojan...

You can try a couple of things but your best bet is to Zero the drive and start fresh.

First is,

ClamXav
    http://www.clamxav.com/

However if it finds a Trojan and you remove it, it doesn't mean you are safe you could still have all sorts of nasty things running around on the system like key-loggers, root kits, etc.

Second thing to try is,

OS X Root Kit Hunter
    http://www.christian-hornung.de/

I will say again if these do find anything you best option is to re-install from scratch.

Edit:
    After you do those things Install a program like Little Snitch to watch your connections to make sure you don't have any strange programs sending/receiving any strange data.

8. EmperorDarius macrumors 6502a

not iLife. All I see on popular torrent websites are legit rips.

Really, ClamXav is useless for Mac viruses.

I recommend the OP to install iAntivirus and run a full scan,

www.iantivirus.com

9. lostngone macrumors 65816

lostngone

REALLY?!?!?

Look harder.

10. EmperorDarius macrumors 6502a

I just looked in the most popular one(s).

11. lostngone macrumors 65816

lostngone

And..

iAntivirus will be 100% useless at finding anything if you don't have an intel based Mac because it won't even run...

12. EmperorDarius macrumors 6502a

Ok then, the OP can just install a trial of some commercial antivirus and run a scan.

13. Khryz thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah I installed Clam and it found nothing anywhere. Guess I was just being paranoid.

Thanks fellas.

14. Jethryn Freyman macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

ClamXAV does not detect OS X threats.

About the torrented FCE4: I'm 99.9% sure that torrent is clean.

iAntiVirus: I have a feeling that it does not detect threats that have already been installed - it just detects the installer packages themselves. I found this out when I ran a scan on a system with a keylogger installed - it only detected the installer package, not the installed keylogger.

I emailed PC Tools (they make iAV), they fixed the definitions for the specific keylogger I mentioned, but I'm not sure if they have fixed the definitions for the other ~100 threats they have listed in their database.