weird/crazy things happening ALREADY

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by arielled01, Jan 3, 2009.

1. arielled01 macrumors member

hi guys. just got a new 2.53 ghz macbook pro for christmas. since then, nothing has been a problem until tonight - no physical "abuse" has occurred to the machine so im not sure why all of this is happening

this is how it started:

- i was downstairs so i shut my mbp lid to bring it with me upstairs - i didnt put it on sleep mode or anything

-when i was ready to use it upstairs, i opened the lid and pressed a key expecting the screen to awaken as usual ... it didn't - it remained black.

-not knowing what to do, i took the battery out because not even the power button was getting a response out of it

-when i went to put it back on (power cable plugged in too btw) the screen remained grey/bluish the screen in which the apple would appear. i again removed the battery because nothing was giving me a reaction

-this time my mbp froze on my home screen

-i repeated the same battery step

-now, this time my mbp loaded back to my home screen but it was saying an airport card wasnt installed aka my router wasnt being recognized

-i went on my iphone and found a support site that said to hold down cmd opt p and r while pressing the button until i heard 3 dongs etc and the process worked im back on the internet

i am currently using my mbp with the battery cover and power cable unattached - it seems that whenever each of these are on/connected, the computer freezes

im sorry this is so long but does anyone know a logical explanation for what is happening? im getting really distressed because my parents spent so much money on this for it to be having problems already :( any input would be GREATLY appreciated!! thank you so much

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

You might need to take it back to the Apple store, they will fix it for you.

3. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I would call Apple first and let them take you through the typical steps. From there, take your case number and go to the Apple Store.

4. arielled01 thread starter macrumors member

not really relevant i guess but the fan seems to be running a lot harder now - i can actually hear it whereas before the only time i heard the fan was when i loaded a dvd

5. arielled01 thread starter macrumors member

ok, important edit: i've noticed that whenever i re-attach my battery cover, my mbp freezes! i have no clue why this is happening because my computer has been fine with it on until this point...i would think that it was me putting it on wrong but my mbp first stopped responding with the battery cover on and i had never removed it prior to that ... ughh! :confused:

6. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Take it to Apple. It's time to make your warranty pay for itself.

7. Verdanice macrumors regular

I find Apple notebooks are terrible at sleeping. My MBP is constantly confused by the state of the lid, woken at random in the middle of the night for no apparent reason or at some point on the hour long trip to work, hangs when I open it, forces me to log in multiple times when I open the lid, etc. It's pretty ridiculous. I've never had it go far enough that I couldn't return the machine to normal, although I have had to hard restart before (hold the power button) many a time. Like the others have said - bring it in. Expect future troubles with sleeping, though, unless the two MBPs I've had are just completely alien.

8. arielled01 thread starter macrumors member

issue seems to be fixed .. for now

that was the weirdest thing ever lol

9. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

If it ever occurs again, take the computer in to the shop. Intermittent problems become constant problems as soon as your warranty ends.

10. Ubuntu macrumors 68000

Ubuntu

Too true. Solid advice.

11. GSMiller macrumors 68000

GSMiller

All Apple computers are terrible at sleeping.

12. Solemony macrumors 6502

Solemony

Take it to an apple store...Maybe your HD failed..?

13. Verdanice macrumors regular

Probably true - just a bigger issue with notebooks that you need to be asleep so your battery isn't dead when you get where you're going. That, and I'd think overheating could become an issue epending on what's running in that closed space of a notebook case.

14. arielled01 thread starter macrumors member

froze once again today idk if it happens again i will take it to the apple store but idk how much they are going to do? i did the apple hardware test and it said nothing was wrong with the hardware so i really dk why its randomly freezing all of the sudden :(

15. azaas macrumors newbie

in 5 months or so i've never ever had any problems with the sleep mode...i suggest you take it to Apple asap and demand they fix that problem...

16. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

So, did you take it to the store? If so, what came of your visit?

17. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

In 4 years and as many computers, I've never ever had any problems with the sleep mode. I've never owned a unibody, though.