Weird. cursor hover-clicks

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Eldiablojoe, Jul 16, 2011.

1. Eldiablojoe macrumors 6502a

Eldiablojoe

Okay, I erased and reinstalled Snow Leopard last week due to some lagging issues.

Everything else seems fine, except now my cursor likes to actually click on html links that the cursor is simply hovering over and not actually being clicked on. My cursor also jumps when I'm typing. I'll be typing away and all of a sudden the characters I'm typing appear elsewhere in my paragraph. Incredibly annoying to have to erase those, re-align the cursor where I was typing and then retype. Nothing else is touching the keyboard or track pad, not even my wrists.

I looked into system preferences for both the mouse and the track pad and don't see any setting that will help adjust these two annoyances.

Does anyone have some insight for me? I'm using a December 2009 Intel white MacBook fwiw, and all my Apple software has been updated.

Thank you

2. jjq224 macrumors newbie

jjq224

Unfortunately, it sounds like the trackpad is experiencing a hardware malfunction.

Try connecting an external mouse. Before you do, however, open System Preferences > Keyboard & Mouse. Click the Trackpad tab and put a check in the "Ignore trackpad when mouse is present box".

EDIT - I would use a USB mouse first to ensure direct communication.

If it doesn't exhibit the same symptoms, then you have a trackpad issue. If it does, then something in the OS is causing an issue. Also, make sure you have the "Ignore accidental trackpad input" box as well.

Let me know if this helped.

3. alexxk macrumors 6502

Your trackpad is bad, it happened to me..

Take it to Apple and they will exchange it for a new one.. Do you still have warrant?