Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

flp

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 26, 2022
UPS is delivering my iphone 14 pro later today which i was going to add as a new line to my account. I called AT&T and the customer service agent asked me for the tracking number for the phone which I thought was odd, I gave it to him and he told me that he would create a new line for me now and then temporarily add that line to one of my pre-existing phones, then call me back later tonight to switch the line to my new phone. I told him I would just call back when the phone arrived, he said OK and then he told me he would call me back tonight to set up the new line, I told him to call me back at 8PM Pacific time and he said that would be OK. The whole call struck me as kind of odd, I guess it seems like good customer service if he does call tonight, but it just struck me as odd.

I guess my question is, is this normal? Something about it seemed odd.

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
UPS is delivering my iphone 14 pro later today which i was going to add as a new line to my account. I called AT&T and the customer service agent asked me for the tracking number for the phone which I thought was odd, I gave it to him and he told me that he would create a new line for me now and then temporarily add that line to one of my pre-existing phones, then call me back later tonight to switch the line to my new phone. I told him I would just call back when the phone arrived, he said OK and then he told me he would call me back tonight to set up the new line, I told him to call me back at 8PM Pacific time and he said that would be OK. The whole call struck me as kind of odd, I guess it seems like good customer service if he does call tonight, but it just struck me as odd.

I guess my question is, is this normal? Something about it seemed odd.
I would call AT&T yourself (or do it online if possible) to set it up. Too many scams to trust someone calling without you contacting them first

flp

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 26, 2022
I would call AT&T yourself (or do it online if possible) to set it up. Too many scams to trust someone calling without you contacting them first
That’s good advice thanks. Something feels off, I’ve never heard of customer service offering to call back like that.

flp

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 26, 2022
He never called. It was super easy to add a line on the web page.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.