Weird data charges at night?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by nhamp07, Oct 29, 2011.

1. nhamp07, Oct 29, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2011

nhamp07 macrumors regular

There are alot of data charges around 1130 every night when i plug my phone in and im assuming it could be wi fi sync?

2. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

3. aristobrat macrumors G4

You can turn off WiFi sync by plugging your iPhone into the computer, going into ITunes, and disabling the wifi sync option on the iPhones summary page.

I don't see how WiFi sync would show up as cellular data though, but I guess turning it off and seeing if the data stops is a good test.

There have been other threads over the years about mysterious later-night iPhone data usage. You might check those too.

4. coasterswim macrumors 6502

Wi-Fi sync should not use any cellular data nor any home broadband data (like from Comcast). All the data is on your local network.

5. nhamp07 thread starter macrumors regular

I thought that too, but both my wife and I have several 5000kb charges around 1130 and we usually put our phones on the chargers around 111.

I dont know what else it could be?

6. Givmeabrek macrumors 68030

Givmeabrek

7. Los macrumors regular

This, your carrier updates all the data you used, at night. If it's a very specific night, then that's what you used through out the day.

8. nhamp07 thread starter macrumors regular

Theres charges at various times of the day, but that makes sense I guess.

We both went from 3gs with only 40 MB a month and with 15 days left this month we are both over 100 MB on a 200 MB plan. Im guessing it is all the cool stuff on the 4s?

9. jsh macrumors regular

Check the cellular data usages levels periodically throughout the day (on the iphone, not your carrier's site). Maybe keep a mental or physical list of what you used your phone for during each time interval. That should give you a better idea of what's using the data. :)

10. OafTobark macrumors 6502

OafTobark

and this really concerns you?

it's probably Frodo Baggins wanting to play with the new tech.

11. firewood macrumors 604

A lot of the push notifications and other cellular push data that happened during the day are billed all at once in the middle of the night when the phone isn't so busy.

12. dave006 macrumors 68020

Are you using iCloud for backup or just using your local iTunes on your computer?

It would appear that maybe your WiFi is not working or maybe timing out during backup and it is switching to Cell Data for the iCloud backup when you are connected and charging on the dock. Try disabling Cell data one night and see what happens to your data charges. The other key option is to consider using your local iTunes for Sync / Backup instead of the iCloud if you are concerned about data overages.

Dave

13. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

If you are really concerned why not just call the carrier. I've always used the direct approach with great results. AT&T and Verizon, have been very good to deal with.

14. gMacbookPro macrumors member

i saw somewhere said there is a bug that Wifi data will count together in your cell data.
    you can just log in to your carrier website and double check.

15. jeffe macrumors 6502a

Maybe i'm stupid but I don't understand this..Why in the world does the carrier need to ask the phone what data it used?

Shouldn't the carrier already know this, being that they are the ones who served the data? This is the equivalent of a restaraunt billing you based on your bowel movements.