weird desktop file - what is it?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by lotones, Nov 17, 2010.

1. lotones macrumors regular

Hello... my 3 month old refurb 2009 i7 is doing something weird with the desktop photo. I have it set to for a random desktop picture from a certain file every 30 minutes. For the first month everything was fine, but since then every time I start the computer it starts with the same picture before randomizing after 30 minutes. When I checked the desktop/screensaver control panel yesterday there was a file called dskiPhotorootsource-5507 in the "folders" section of the left column. When I deleted that file the persistent desktop photo disappeared everything went back to normal... until I started my computer this morning. Again it started with the same picture, and sure enough, that weird file is back in the folders column.

It's more an annoyance than anything, but what's going on?

thnx

2. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Do a Get Info on that strange file and see if it gives you a clue about what created it.

3. lotones thread starter macrumors regular

thanks for the reply...

I did a spotlight search the first time I saw it and the file didn't show up. And after a restart today it didn't show up either, though the same "default" desktop picture appeared. I'll do a screen shot next time I see it.

Hopefully it's nothing, but I get nervous when I see mysterious files with "rootsource" in the title.